• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airboss

Pilot noted lack of lights before crash

By JEFFREY McMURRAY, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

Seconds before a commuter plane crashed after going down the wrong runway, the co-pilot noted it was "weird" that the Lexington, Ky., strip had no lights, according to a transcript released Wednesday.
The runway wasn't long enough for a passenger jet when Comair Flight 5191 took off in the pre-dawn darkness on Aug. 27.
Co-pilot James Polehinke said it was "weird with no lights," just seconds before the sound of the impact was heard, according to the National Transportation Safety Board transcript. The captain, Jeffrey Clay, then responded, "Yeah."
The crash killed 49 of 50 people on board. Polehinke, the lone survivor, lost a leg and suffered brain damage from the crash. He has told family members he remembers nothing about that morning.
According to federal investigators, Clay taxied the plane onto the wrong runway before Polehinke took over the controls for takeoff from Lexington's Blue Grass Airport.
Polehinke said, "I'll take us to Atlanta," and Clay responds, `sure."
According to the transcript, the last understandable word came from Clay just a second before the crash, when he said, "whoa."
It was the first time the public was given access to the transcripts of what the Comair pilots told each other in the cockpit during the ill-fated flight.
In a brief statement, Comair said, "We recognize the investigation is a long and difficult process for the families, especially when announcements — such as today's — receive intense public scrutiny. Our desire is to learn as much as we can in order to prevent these kinds of accidents from happening again."
Numerous lawsuits have been filed accusing Comair of negligence. However, the airline has sued Blue Grass Airport and the Federal Aviation Administration, asking that they share blame.
A week before the crash, the taxiways at Blue Grass were altered as part of a construction project, and the maps and charts used in the cockpits of Comair and other airlines weren't updated. The FAA did notify airlines of the changes through a separate announcement.
Only one controller was on duty when the plane crashed. The veteran controller cleared the flight for takeoff, then turned away to do administrative work, officials said. He didn't see the plane turn down the runway, try to take off and then crash in flames.

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

NTSB Releases Report
RECORDING FROM COCKPIT
5:44 a.m.
“I guess, when I’m, I’m deciding on making a major decision. If it doesn’t feel right in my gut or if I don’t have a little voice, if it starts talking to me; and I’m like, I need to reevaluate.”
5:55 a.m.
“Ladies and gentlemen from the flight deck, [I would] like to take this time to welcome you also onboard Comair flight 5191, direct flight to Atlanta. We will be cruising at 27,000 feet this morning. And once we do get in the air, it looks like one hour and seven minutes en route.
“Hopefully, you can catch a nap going into Atlanta. It’s our pleasure having you all on board.”
6:00 am.
“Both kids were sick, well, they all got colds. It was an interesting dinner last night.”
6:04 a.m.
“And, folks, one time from the flight deck, we would like to welcome you on board. We will be underway momentarily. Sit back, relax and enjoy the flight. Kelly, when you have a chance, please prepare the cabin.”
The plane's co-pilot said it was "weird" that the lights on the runway they were taking off from were not on.

wkyt.com

Co-pilot James Polehinke said it was "weird with no lights," just seconds before the sound of the impact was heard, according to the National Transportation Safety Board transcript. The captain, Jeffrey Clay, then responded, "Yeah."

Sounds like early morning complacency.

?

im looking for a link to the info released. it seems the ntsb does not have anything on their site, just a phone number to call and get the docket info. anybody know how to obtain the newly released docket info online?

For news media representatives, a CD-ROM containing the docket material will be available from the Office of Public Affairs, NTSB Headquarters (6th floor), 490 L'Enfant Plaza, S.W., Washington, D.C., beginning at 11:00a.m., Wednesday, January 17, 2007.
Docket material also can be obtained from the NTSB's Records Management Division by calling (202) 314-6551, or from General Microfilm, Inc., (304) 267-5830.
This will be a document release only; no interviews will be conducted.

I think you wil have to wait for the media to transcribe it.

partial CVR (cnn)
FO: dat is wierd with no lights
CP: yeah.
CP: one hundred knots.
FO: checks.
CP: V1, rotate
CP:whoa. (unknown noise)
CP:expletive
(sound of impact)

partial CVR (cnn)
FO: dat is wierd with no lights
CP: yeah.
CP: one hundred knots.
FO: checks.
CP: V1, rotate
CP:whoa. (unknown noise)
CP:expletive
(sound of impact)
Sounds like they almost made it. Complacency or not, this accident scares the crap out of me. How many times could this have happened to anyone else...

I always thought the CVR was to be kept private. Did the FO or his family have to give permission for this to be released? -Bean

I always thought the CVR was to be kept private. Did the FO or his family have to give permission for this to be released? -Bean

There is no restriction on the release of CVR transcripts (the family usually gets the first look). NTSB no longer releases actual CVR recordings.

Latest resources

Back