• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Clearing customs as a non rev...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like others, Ive been called to the crew line when non-reving during my airline days. I've also "accidentally" strayed over to the crew line as well and have been told that the "next time" I should be on the regular line. The agents know whats up, and most really could give a rats a$$ that you are on that crew line. Play dumb, be respectful/courteous, and most will let you thru without a problem.

I once was going through EWR customs after non-reving in the PAX line but with my company ID around my neck (had it under my sweater during the flight but took the sweater off when we landed) and the customs guy asked if I was a crew member. I said no and he then said I needed to take off my ID or he would fine me X amount of dollars. I started to ask why but I thought why bother. I can't imagine what rule he was referring to.

He was referring to the rule that he just made up. These agents all have their own things that they say are "standard". At NetJets, when we clear customs, our company has a sheet with a laundry list of forms and whatnot to make sure you have for the agents when arriving back in the country...it gets kinda confusing between 91, 91k and 135 but you will not find two customs agents that agree on the documents that they need. I came into PBI with passengers and had all the documents that the CBP sheet said that I needed and when I gave them to the agent, she grunted and snarled because I didn't have a white form instead of a blue form. So I showed her the memo that I had what it said I needed and she looked at it dumbfounded like she had never seen it before. She said that "she has always done it that way" and I should know what PBI wants because NetJets is always coming thru PBI. So obviously they don't even know their own rules...kinda sounds like another power hungry government body of inept and worthless workers we are all familiar with...

As a sidenote...why do they carry guns? Do they really need a firearm to sit in that little booth and belittle us weary travellers? I have a hard time believing that they are real LEO's.

Postal inspectors carry guns too. Why?

Good thing the TSA isn't armed!

He was referring to the rule that he just made up. These agents all have their own things that they say are "standard". At NetJets, when we clear customs, our company has a sheet with a laundry list of forms and whatnot to make sure you have for the agents when arriving back in the country...it gets kinda confusing between 91, 91k and 135 but you will not find two customs agents that agree on the documents that they need. I came into PBI with passengers and had all the documents that the CBP sheet said that I needed and when I gave them to the agent, she grunted and snarled because I didn't have a white form instead of a blue form. So I showed her the memo that I had what it said I needed and she looked at it dumbfounded like she had never seen it before. She said that "she has always done it that way" and I should know what PBI wants because NetJets is always coming thru PBI. So obviously they don't even know their own rules...kinda sounds like another power hungry government body of inept and worthless workers we are all familiar with...

Oh man, you aren't kidding about the "well, it's always been this way" bs. When I was doing the corporate thing we would be customs commercial at one station and private at a different one, sometimes they wanted the PASR form and sometimes they thought you were an idiot if you tried to give them one of those things...they have absolutely no idea what the hell they're doing compared to another agent at another airport. Frustrating, I definitely don't miss that.

Us customs agents are the biggest a$$holes on the planet. I get grief almost everytime i come back to the states as a nonrev. Everytime I leave i get treated great by customs agents overseas...almost makes me want to stay!

I once was going through EWR customs after non-reving in the PAX line but with my company ID around my neck (had it under my sweater during the flight but took the sweater off when we landed) and the customs guy asked if I was a crew member. I said no and he then said I needed to take off my ID or he would fine me X amount of dollars. I started to ask why but I thought why bother. I can't imagine what rule he was referring to.

There is a fairly new customs rule (as of about a year or two ago, at least in ATL), where pilots/airport employees inbound on a flight subject to customs inspection must not display an ID tag, versus employees allowed to be in the area but not subject to inspection must display the ID. I guess it helps them keep straight whether they can harass you about contraband fruit or not.

There is a fairly new customs rule (as of about a year or two ago, at least in ATL), where pilots/airport employees inbound on a flight subject to customs inspection must not display an ID tag, versus employees allowed to be in the area but not subject to inspection must display the ID. I guess it helps them keep straight whether they can harass you about contraband fruit or not.

That came about because someone (not a crew member, airport employee) got waived through customs based on an ATL SIDA badge when they were subject to inspection because the customs agent thought they were "just passing through". So in typical government knee jerk reaction, punish everyone instead of the agent who screwed up. Because we know that government employees are above the law and above reproach.

Latest resources

Back