Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dmspilot00

Independent
What would be the best time of day to attempt a touch and go in a Cessna at a Class B airport (Pittsburgh in this case) without making the controllers mad? Is it possible or should I not attempt it? I'm flying tomorrow and am thinking about trying it. I've flown into Class C several times before without problems.

Thanks!

why not do a T & G at a class C airport instead? Or do a full stop and taxi back at Class B?

i doubt that they will be happy with you.

There is a big difference between Class C & Class B. Class C are often less busy than Class D airports (in my case, Tulsa has 450 operations a day, and adjacent Class D has 750 operations a day). Now a Class B airport has thousands of operations a day.

Best time of day to try something like that? Say 3 or 4 am in the morning.

Flying Illini said:
Or do a full stop and taxi back at Class B?
Would a full stop and taxi back be better?

The reason I'm wondering about it is I know someone else who did one at PIT in a C172. I would ask him how it was but I haven't been able to get in touch with him.

Keep in mind it's Pittsburgh, not LA, if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
I would call them ahead of time and ask if they mind (than cannot turn you down, but it would be a pain in their collective butts if it's busy), and ask when would be the best time to do it.

LOL

I heard a controller today key the mike and LAUGH before he responded and denied at a pilot who requested to go into Dulles VFR during a busy bank.

I never say never BUT... the chances are slim. I don't work a tower or approach control but I feed them all day. I have had a couple of light A/C ask for T & G's at places like JFK and LGA and gave them the benefit of hitting the land line and asking the tracon ... laughter is generally what you hear...

Seriously, PIT is pretty busy, we feed them traffic also. Try asking at a time when they don't seem busy, if they deny you ask if there is ever a good time to get one. Keep one thing in mind, some airports (eg. JFK) charge high landing fees, in the range of $200, so make sure you know what the story is going in.

Let us know how it turns out.

Okay, I probably won't go there tomorrow. I'd still like to fly into there sometime, but only after I give PIT a phone call to see what they think. Also hopefully more people will reply to this thread who are familiar with the area. Of course, I would only do 1 touch and go or a full stop, whichever would be better for them. I'll have to research the landing fee thing too.

Thanks to everyone who responded so far!

Last edited:
mattpilot said:
Best time of day to try something like that? Say 3 or 4 am in the morning.

I'm thinking about doing the same at another Class B. I was planning on going about 2am and definitely calling ahead. Be specific though and mention that you want a touch and go, not a full-stop. As was mentioned before, some places have a nasty landing fee.

Also, while they can not outright deny you access to the airport, the Bravo that I'm considering has effectively done this. They have a policy where there are pretty much no touch-and-goes.

Two thumbs up. Have fun! Caution, wake turbulence...

Latest resources

Back