• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LXApilot

Owes More Than He Makes
Dear All,
The boss is in the process of purchasing a Bombardier Challenger 300. I'm looking for accurate information we could pass along: range, speed, payload, runway performance, etc.
I'm open to receiving position, negative or indifferent comments. We'd like to know what to look for with this machine.
I'd like to hear from the trenches. PM me if you'd rather do so.
Thanks in advance for your info!
- JCL

The boss is in the process of purchasing and he/she does not already have accurate information?

Your profile mentions the Tomahawk and thoughts of that bird always bring a smile to my face.

Congrats! It's a great airplane and I thoroughly enjoy flying it.

-we fly pretty much everything at M.80, normal and LRC. no real advantage to going slower, significant increase in fuel burn if you push it up to .82

-range: 6.5 hours is pretty comfortable with 4-5 pax. My longest legs are KVNY-TNCM and PHKO-KEGE. landed with 2500+ lbs on each. Flew PHLI-CYVR with 9 and still landed with plenty of fuel. If you're going to Hawaii, oxygen tends to be the limiting factor if you've got more than 6 pax. Our BOWs are around 24.3k

-runway performance: it'll do more than we usually ask it to. Actual landing distance at 28k and cool temps are down around 2200'. KASE to the east coast is not an issue if you've got APG/runway analysis relief on the climb gradients.

-She'll climb straight to 410 or 430 at MTOW every day of the week in 25-30 min, and with less than 10000#s of fuel you should be able to start thinking about FL450. Fuel burns up there range from 1800#s in early cruise down to 1500-1600pph 4 hours later.

Very electronic airplane and some systems do wake up cranky from time to time, but it's usually a simple reset to clear the msg. Very rarely is an full aircraft CTRL-ALT-DLT required

The autopilot is the weak spot in my opinion. Altitude capture leaves plenty to be desired, and it can be a little pitchy in FLC mode. Some in our fleet fly great in VFLC, others not so much. YMMV

Oh and the pac works great on the ground off the APU. I never thought I'd be cold in a cockpit in SDL in the summer...it's very comfortable in general when it comes to heating/cooling

Any specific questions you've got, feel free.

I call BS on TBone performance specs

Sorry

C

Really? And who are you? My observations are based on 2000+ hours in the airplane. I hope you've got something more significant than that to substantiate your claims, otherwise your credibility is toast.

I'm looking forward to your response, C.

-She'll climb straight to 410 or 430 at MTOW every day of the week in 25-30 min,

Sorry, I should have included this in the prior post.

At ISA's above +10 the climb to FL430 will be problematic. In other words it wont do it all day long. Thats with 5 years and operating 12 different CL30 airframes all over the world.

Its a great aircraft but it has its weak points.

Cheers

-She'll climb straight to 410 or 430 at MTOW every day of the week in 25-30 min,

Sorry, I should have included this in the prior post.

At ISA's above +10 the climb to FL430 will be problematic. In other words it wont do it all day long. Thats with 5 years and operating 12 different CL30 airframes all over the world.

Its a great aircraft but it has its weak points.

Cheers

Well it's a good thing I gave myself some wiggle room by including the OR in there so as to not make such bold claims that can't be backed up 100% of the time. You could also say that my landing distance of 2200' is BS if you're at a hot and high airport...but when I'm just trying to give the guy some ballpark information, there was no need to break it down into finite detail.

This is not a NetJets thread, or a Southwest v Airtran thread, or a Delta v Regionals thread...there's no need turn this into another pissing match.

This is not a NetJets thread, or a Southwest v Airtran thread, or a Delta v Regionals thread...there's no need turn this into another pissing match.

Never intended to turn this into a pissing match.

Apparently I hit a nerve. My apologies.

Cheers.

Never intended to turn this into a pissing match.

Apparently I hit a nerve. My apologies.

Cheers.

Calling BS on someone tends to have that effect.

Take care.

Thanks to all for the great input. This board is, without a doubt, a great tool. To clarify: Yes, the boss is in the transaction to acquire a pre-owned Challenger 300. I however, have no experience or knowledge of the airframe and wanted to reach out and gain some knowledge so I can set expectations realistically on what he expects and what we can deliver.

Any info on departing ASE? We fly in and out often and I see these airplanes there, I'm confident they can operate in and out... But at what payload/range? VFR conditions vs having to do the PITKN in imc? What can you carry out and meet the climb req single engine? If anyone can fwd me APG data that would be very welcomed.

Any info on Bombardier maintenance support? Service centers?

Thanks guys!
- LXA

Latest resources

Back