• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CL-850 Crash Cont.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im glad the crew made it out ok. What is up with Challenger aircraft and frozen precip?!?!

Funny thing about that wing....it doesn't like contamination....what a P.O.S. What good is an aircraft if you can't launch with snow/ice on the wing and save the boss the cost of paying for de-icing, isn't that what he is really paying you for?

Dinger said:
What good is an aircraft if you can't launch with snow/ice on the wing and save the boss the cost of paying for de-icing, isn't that what he is really paying you for?

Surely you cannot be serious.

Isn't a CL-850 a CRJ in exec interior trim? If so, does the CRJ wing share airfoils with a 601/604/604? Both/All are non LE device equipped, right?

Another question, how many corp guys ever get deice specific training? I know I never have in any corporate training program, it's just been some "OJT" with guys I'm flying with, and I have flown with some that obviously didn't know squat about ground deicing, like what a holdover time was, or the difference between type 1 or 4 (former fighter pilot). Not necessarily their fault, just making the point that if you've never been trained, you won't know, and for a lot of pt 91 guys, I don't know that they ever get trained. Thoughts?

My first De-Ice training was scraping an 1/2 inch of ice of the wing of my single engine cessna with a postal tag that I cut off the mail I was delivering in the bush of Alaska. Boy does that sound scary now! I launched back into it to trying to stay below it at 400'. I made it home alive though and learned how stupid I was! Well that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.......

Actually with all the "Ice" related accidents in the last few years I can't believe that there is any lack of training. If your heading into "Northern Territories" even if your not offered training its up to you to make sure you know what to do!! They never blame anyone else do they.

My rule of thumb is any type of freezing contaminate large or small, slick or rough gets the De-Ice truck on its way! be conservative and live to fly another day! The cost is nill compared to an accident or loss of life.

Who said the crash was due to the lack of de-icing? Did I miss something?

Isn't a CL-850 a CRJ in exec interior trim? If so, does the CRJ wing share airfoils with a 601/604/604? Both/All are non LE device equipped, right?

Yep, a CRJ-200 airframe. Can't speak as to the airfoil commonality to the Challengers you mention other than to say none of those series, including the 850 have LED's.

Latest resources

Back