• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

King Nothing

Breaking Stories
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extensive Injuries Reported in Citation CJ2 Crash
The pilot and two of his three passengers were seriously injured yesterday when a 2002 Citation CJ2 landed long-at Dexter (Maine) Airport, went off the end of the 3,000-ft runway, crossed an access road and came to a stop 100 ft beyond the runway end in a weeded area. One other passenger reportedly received minor injuries and a small dog on board was killed. The airplane, N57EJ, which suffered substantial damage, was registered to Exec-Jet of Bristol, Conn. Weather was not believed to be a factor. At the time of the10:30 am, accident, weather at nearby Bangor, Maine, was reporting wind from 200 deg at six knots, visibility 10 sm and an overcast at 2,100 ft. According to the FAA, the jet departed Bristol on an IFR flight plan and at about 10 mi from Dexter, the pilot canceled and continued to the uncontrolled facility under VFR. Dexter is served by a GPS approach to Runway 34.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know anything more than what's here?

KN

Last edited:
Re: let's have the numbers...

feip said:
i wouldn't plan on taking a KING AIR into a 3000 foot strip

I think that might be a bit of hyperbole to emphasize your point. The King Air could do that quite handily. It's been a long time since I flew a Citation II, and I didn't fly it much, but I think it's quite capable of handling 3000 feet also.

Of course, everything needs to be right on for each of these aircraft in order to make it happen. You are correct that any questionable approach should result in a go-around. There's no shame in that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the CJ2 a "Citation Jet." I'm pretty sure it is. With that, I'd assume it could be done -- the planning went way out the window on this one.

Now depending on the conditions a 12.7 Citation II could land at this field. From the book (SimuFlite) a Citation II with a 1000' elevation airport (500' higher) with the OAT of 104 will need 2530' of runway...part 135 it needs 4220. Sea level it would need 2420. The King Air should be able to do this with no problems, Ive landed them in some short strips and have had plenty of room...just have to set it up right and should it look bad go around.

I totally agree with the second reply all the way!

I feel for the dog.;)

KN

Last edited:
feip,

I hope I didn't come across as denigrating your personal minima. Everyone should establish such limits for himself. I have no problem with that.

Relax feip, I posted that to understand more about the conditions, the company, ect. Without knowing more about the situation it's hard for all of us to understand what's going through the pilots mind. I have a sense he was under a lot of pressure to go into that airport, but who's to say.

Without having a King Air book in front of me to crunch the numbers I couldn't tell you much, you must have the numbers in front of you. I have this Citation II Flight Planning book in front of me and although you can get in 12.7 at OAT of 104, your right, you can't leave with that weight and temp. Give me some time and I'll gather more data.

KN

Last edited:
I believe the pilot in question is an owner/operator, not a professional pilot.

Landing distance at sea level 20 degrees 11000 lbs is 2930 feet. Max landing weight of the CJ2 is 11500, takeoff is 12375.

With such a short field, why not use Bangor International instead ? I am sure the weathy charter customers could have afforded a cab...

Is this an ego issue? 3000 feet is very, very short for a jet. Landing at DCA used to give me the willies... It is true that we don't know the facts (the brakes might have failed), but landing in just 3,000 feet is pushing it a bit...

Too bad about the dog and the jet - I love the CJ2 - very nice Pro Line 21 cockpit - quite advanced.

A lesson for everyone...

Wet Runway? 2,100' Ceiling in October usually means rain at some point in the day? Sales numbers on CJ2 'propaganda' say landing @ 11.5K done in 2980' from 50'over DRY runway. Float an extra 20' because you're off Vref and you have cross-trained to professional landscaping. Don't know the details, sounds like flight should not have even been dispatched to that airport if that is the case. If Part 91 Pilot Owner, I would bet the performance numbers weren't even compiled for wieght or Wx conditions. Likely see certificate action. What good would it have been to get in to the field if the flight would not safely be able to get out whether passengers were coming out then or later? No wiggle-room for the timid or non-proficient with field right at minimum required in varying weight configurations. What about Obstacles?. Another senseless hull Loss/claim against an already weak Insurance industry strangling General and Corporate aviation. Be smart and use your melons guys and gals. It aint worth it, If you live through your temporary departure of good (ADM) judgement and happen to keep all of your FAA Medically required body parts, you will likely be displaced from your Pilot Certificate. If that guy was trying to be a hero for his passengers out of "cabin pressure" he failed. Don't be a hero, nobody remembers dead heroes. They remember when you refuse to put them and their family at risk and just like children, they can't respect you if you cave in to their demands.

What is he doing cancelling IFR at one airport to jet to another field at 1,600' AGL (2,100' ceiling -500' Cloud clearance) where a GPS approach was available?

This was a single-pilot "owner flown" corporate aircraft. The owner of the company is also the company pilot. He was pretty experienced in both the CJ1 and CJ2, and was very familiar with this particular airport.

Early report is he landed long and hot, attempted a go-around and simply ran out of runway prior to getting it back in the air.

Numbers are one thing, especially with everything perfect and perfect pilot technique. Experience in type and at location are another. Sure a King Air could land there. One usually has to take off as well. Your flight planning for one flight doesn't stop until you consider the factors for your next departure. But, let the NTSB finish until we crucify someone.

Latest resources

Back