Cingular GSM Network

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LGAPilot

I currently have AT&T TDMA service on a Digital One Rate plan. It's $79.99 for 650 anytime minutes, plus 200 bonus anytime minutes and 1000 N&W minutes. With this plan, you can never be charged roaming, regardless of who's network you're using. It's good, but it's expensive and I want one of those cool phones that only GSM service provides. AT&T's GSM plans cost the same as the TDMA plans.

I'm very interested in Cingular. Their 450 National plan is only $39.99 and includes 5000 NW and 1000 mobile to mobile. Plus, the unused anytime minutes roll over to the next cycle. The limiting factor is that you only get no roaming and long distance when you're ON THE CINGULAR NETWORK. The Cingular rep said that you can configure the phone (I'm interested in the Motorola V400) so that it will not allow you to roam.

Considering that we all travel to every corner of the country (and some beyond) does anyone who has Cingular GSM service have their phone configured to prevent roaming, and if so, are you happy with the coverage? I'm sure it works well in domicile cities, but what about the Fargo's and Kalamazoo's etc, of the country?

Are you happy with Cingular GSM in general?

TIA.

LGAPliot

Last edited:
Had cingular GSM now for about 3-4 months. Switched from t-mobile. First off, coverage area is bigger with cingular. Also noticed that coverage inside buildings and basements is superior with cingular. I use my phone from lower peninsula michigan to central illinois to louisville ky including highways in between and have enjoyed it thus far.
Kalamazoo had little if any service when i was there in december however cingular had claimed they were expanding with towers in that area by end of 03....(i think that was late if it has expanded yet....)
Its better than ATT GSM for sure as I have relatives with it who have been forced to switch back to the T/CDMA (cant remember which system they use)
good luck :)

Cingular recently changed from 900megahertz to 1500 (the exact freqs could be a little different) in my hometown. I wasn't at all happy because my old nokia was not capable of working with 1500 and I was forced to buy a new phone.

I can't really respond to your question, because I still have a no roaming, no long distance, anywhere in the US Cingular plan. The reason I respond is to tip you off the the continued existance of the plan I mention. Cingular doesn't want to sell it, but I'm pretty certain that they still have it. It does cost slightly more than the Cingular cell only plan, and you don't get as many free minutes, but it is still a better deal than the AT&T plan, plus you get the features of the GSM phone that you want.

In general, I'm happy with Cingular except for making me buy a new phone just because they changed their freq in my hometown. To their credit, I did manage to badger on of their CSA's to give me a bill credit that almost amounted to the cost of the new phone.

regards,
enigma

Cingular

I just switched from AT&T Nation Plan- $49.99 to Cingular 850 GSM- $59.99, no long distance, no roaming. AT&T roaming was killing me. Check it out, I get 150 more minutes, rollover, 5000 N&W, 5000 phone to phone. IMO Cingular is a much better deal.

Re: Cingular

Nolife said:
I just switched from AT&T Nation Plan- $49.99 to Cingular 850 GSM- $59.99, no long distance, no roaming. AT&T roaming was killing me. Check it out, I get 150 more minutes, rollover, 5000 N&W, 5000 phone to phone. IMO Cingular is a much better deal.
You can still roam on the Cingular Nation Plan. Read my original post and the small print on your Cingular plan. It only provides no roaming and LD while on the Cingular network.

If you travel off the Cingular network, your phone will roam automatically unless you configure it accept only the Cingular network.

LGAPilot

Yes, the Cingular GSM phones have a SIM card.

Im pretty sure any GSM phone has a SIM card since it virtually is the brain of a GSM phone.

LGAPilot, on the old plans they talked about roaming being something like 79c/minute, but with the GSM nation plans you shouldn't ever have to worry about roaming. As long as you get a signal on the phone you should be able to use it. They cover their bases by saying that they allow you to roam on Cingular preferred providers or something along those lines, but basically Cingular contracts with every GSM carrier in America so that point is moot.

About 30 minutes East of where I live Cingular has no native coverage, but I'm allowed to roam on AT&T for free there. If it was a deal where the only coverage was T-Mobile that would work too, but honestly their network isn't all that great so there's probably few places where they have a signal but Cingular doesn't.

In and around the Atlanta area though their coverage is good enough that they bar you from roaming on any other company. So basically you don't have to worry about anything, if you get a signal you can use it, and if they don't want you using somebody else's network they program your phone not to let you.

forgot to mention this...maybe someone can figure it out....SOMETIMES in building i lose signal but when it starts coming back, i get signal bars but no cingular text. If i try to make a call like this it says "emergency calls only"...so what gives?
do i have service or not?

Latest resources

Back