• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Christmas Bonus?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Last Christmas I received a Christmas bonus of $500 cash, and anticipate something similar this year. I fly Part 91 corporate. Our company unfortunately does not have a profit sharing plan. I anticipate something similar this year. Also, April 1 begins the new fiscal year and will be when I get an annual raise. Last year I was told to expect 3% and got 9%. I'd love for that to happen again.

R

I received one small Christmas bonus several years ago, and last year I did a little better at my charter company.

I was told by another pilot that the cost of the bonus had been figured into the managment costs of the individual jets, so it wasn't really an act of kindness on the part of the owners, who mostly celebrated Hanuukah and not Christmas, but an idea that was instituted by one of the company owners, a Christian.

It amounted to about a week's worth of your pay at the regular rate. Not a lot, but something.

I agree w/ FalconCapt. There are no "christmas" bonuses at large companies (that would be illegal-cant be "xmas"!)

But most have yearly bonuses, usually come out in beginning of the next year. 2-15% of pay is an idea, but a broad range. Performance driven of course. Bear in mind this is also taxed and 401(k)'d if you want. Sometimes this is combined with stock options or stock "gifts". Sometimes it isn't....

Working for private individuals always was better in the bonus department. I have gotten as little as $0, and as much as $15,000 - all in crisp $100 bills. Thats my type of bonus....Oh, and I declared it....yeah.

Cash is King in the christmas arena...

:D :D :D

I just left my small 121 job and got a "bonus" check in the mail yesterday.. As much as I complain about how crappy they are, it was a nice thing to do..

I don't want to depress anyone but in the last bull market, the investment firm I was employed with routinely issued bonuses between 35-100% plus. I never got in on the 100% plus ones but caught the tail end of the good years. They were very good years. Paid for my flight training and a number of vacas. It's one hell of a feeling when someone hands you a slip of paper with 5 digits on it saying "that's your bonus this year".

So much for the good years.............

Mr. I. :p

No Christmas bonus.........unless you count not getting laid off a bonus:rolleyes:

Historically, it's an annual "profit sharing" bonus for us.

I worked with a guy about to retire, and he brought up a good point about bonuses........why not forget bonuses and instead, increase our salary? His point was that bonuses don't count towards the formula that companies use to determine retirement pay. That $15,000 bonus is great to pocket now, but he would rather take some of that bonus in his salary instead, and at retirement time, his 5 year average salary would have been higher, making his retirement that much sweeter.

I agree. Better to get the salary up for retirement - if you are lucky to have a pension.

Not so with the single airplane owner ops. They wont have that plane in a few years anyway.

Take the cash and run!!!

In one of my corporate jobs it was customary to get a pat on the back every year.

Another job I got a weeks salary every year.

My most recent job I was offered stock options in liu of a bonus. The options I have never excersized because I could buy them on the market for less. But thanks anyway!

I have friends that get nearly 50% of thier annual salary. Their jobs suck, and it is a way of keeping them around.

So I don't believe there is a norm out there.

Latest resources

Back