Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wheelsup

Non-Registered User
I was told CHQ recently fired someone for refusing to take a flight because it would take them over their duty day limits. There's an investigation pending, but anyone know anything more? I would assume the actual reason for firing wasn't refusing to take the flight, but you never know. They were still on probation so he was just 'let go'. Or atleast this was the story told to me. Is this common?

~wheelsup

H E double hockey sticks no!

I'm sure there's a bit of truth to that story, but it's been passed down a few times and has been warped. Remember that "telephone" game you played as a kid? Sit in a circle and whisper a statement to the next kid, then have them pass it on, and when it hits the last kid the statement has totally changed...

Welcome to the regional airline world where we are all just a bunch of kids playing the telephone game!

Anyway, the company cannot fire you for obeying the regs.

Anyway, the company cannot fire you for obeying the regs.

That's what I figured. How does probation work? Can they fire you for no reason, i.e. if they don't like the way you smile you're gone?

~wheelsup

Last edited:
First of all, most airlines have a one year probationary period. And yes, they can fire you for not smiling at the chief pilot. It doesn't happen very often, but people get fired for stupid thing that they otherwise, would not get in trouble for one year and one day after being hired. With that being said, the above story you are talking about really should not be discussed on a public forum like this. That is my opinion.

Why not? If the situation is unfair, hopefully others can learn from the mistakes of this individual. More importantly, if the reason was legitimate, it's even more important that we learn the details so others can learn from it. I don't understand why people are so hesitant to discuss why people get fired. As a person who would like to keep my job and support my family, I'd like to know as much as possible about these situations.

Bluto said:
Why not? If the situation is unfair, hopefully others can learn from the mistakes of this individual. More importantly, if the reason was legitimate, it's even more important that we learn the details so others can learn from it. I don't understand why people are so hesitant to discuss why people get fired. As a person who would like to keep my job and support my family, I'd like to know as much as possible about these situations.

I agree on this, I've heard of a couple of shady actions on CHQ's part, that said though remember that a lot of what is rummored is told by the person who got the boot, and we always try to seem as innocent as can be, just like when your parents ask you if you really hit that kid in school and you make up a sad story about how he has been throwing pencils at you for years, etc ...

Anyhow, from what I heard, and this is just what I heard, nothing else ... the newhire that got fired refused to fly cuz his schedule for the day went past CHQs 14 hr duty limit (per contract), not the 16 hour limit. There's no way in hell you can get fired for refusing to take a schedule that's over 16 hrs of duty or for not departing with enough time to be off duty by the 16 hours ... No airline in their right mind would make you do that cuz they would be in DEEP doo-doo.

Anyhow, that's just what I heard, may or may not be true and there's probably more to it than that, perhaps some foul language at the crew schedulers, who knows ... but it does seem like CHQ will can guys on probation w/ absolutely no hessitation ...

for the day went past CHQs 14 hr duty limit (per contract)

So what should a pilot do? Didn't he do the right thing? I mean it's "per contract", and how could mgmt fire him if that was the case? As someone who might soon be in a probationary perioid I'm just wondering how to avoid this myself. Wouldn't your fellow pilots depise (sp?) you for not honoring the contract? Proverbial rock and a hard place it seems.

~wheelsup

I think the semi-official ALPA policy is something along the lines of, "Fly it, then grieve it."

wheelsup said:
Proverbial rock and a hard place it seems.

And the award for understatement of the year goes to ......

Yea braw it sucks, I think something that adds to the matter is that you really don't have union protection during your first year, not that you get much afterwards anyway but that's a whole different topic ...

If I was the guy I would have flown my schedule, thanked scheduling for letting me help them, and then called up the CP or Asst CP to discuss the matter. Point is that unless you got enough seniority to ruffle some feathers OR it's a regulatory matter, don't risk your job AND career for a contract matter ... remember that the next airline you apply to is gonna wanna know why you got your butt canned from the last one ... and saying, oh I refused to take a schedule over 14 hours cuz of my cushy contract is not gonna make you a rockstar ....

Just my opinion ..

Bluto said:

First of all, you missed the "my opinion" part of the statement. I really don't give a crap what is said on FI.

Second, unless you are part of management, or the person involved, you will never get to the bottom of the issue. Every side has their own story, good or bad. From what I have heard from the terminated party, he got the shaft. But then again I do not have all the facts. And it doesn't seem like anyone on here has either.

Latest resources

Back