• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chinese Pilot Pay Parity With Expats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How does the payment of taxes work? Many folks I've talked to that fly in Asia or the Middle East mention that the employers cover their taxes. Wouldn't that amount also be considered income and again subject to tax?

All it would take is an economic hiccup and most of the expats in China will be terminated. That's not a comfortable position to be in. Been there, done that

I agree, it is currently a high risk situation to be employed in China. ExPat Captains make about 40% more than a basic Chinese Captain but you have to evaluate the whole package. Any economic hiccup and the ExPats are the first to go. The long term outlook is good for the foreseeable future as huge orders and deliveries are taking place. For the most part at my company the ExPats are not looked on with jealousy but seen as a necessary part of helping build the company during a tumultuous growth spurt. I do however get pompous little comments, mostly from the young Captains here and this is what I tell them.

1. When I had 2800 hours as you do, I would just be at the point where I was marketable as an RJ FO. There is a reason I am paid 40% more and its called EXPERIENCE. When I fly to Hong Kong and Singapore you will be so far behind the jet, your still back in the mainland. Your fine in your little enclosed box in China but leave your element and you can't keep up or play in the big league.

2. Where is my stability and security. I sign a 3 year contract, you signed a lifetime contract. I am gone at the first whiff of an economic downturn, you on the other hand will be taken care of during a downturn.

3. Where is my House? The company built and sold you a house at 1/4 the full cost of a house in China. Currently this is about a 3 million rmb benefit.

4. What lifestyle change and hardships do you suffer by being in China compared to most ExPats, who commute and leave their families behind and work in a foreign environment far different than what they are accustomed towards.

5. Who paid for your training? I put my dues in and spent a decade or more flying broken down half spent aircraft flying almost for free, mostly at night in horrific weather whereas you had everything handed to you on a silver platter from off the street to 737 Captain in just 4 years.

Until the Chinese pilots stick together and work on improving their own terms and conditions it is going to be difficult for any long term stability and security as an ExPat in China. It seems many are trying to drag us ExPats down to their standards vs. trying to raise the bar and elevate themselves to similar ExPat terms and conditions. Labor laws and Labor unions are very new here in China and things change very very slowly in the Middle Kingdom. The more senior Insructors actually make much more than the ExPats. In my opinion they earn every rmb they make as this is not an easy flying environment in the long term. In the end buyer beware.

I do however get pompous little comments, mostly from the young Captains here and this is what I tell them.

1. When I had 2800 hours as you do, I would just be at the point where I was marketable as an RJ FO. There is a reason I am paid 40% more and its called EXPERIENCE. When I fly to Hong Kong and Singapore you will be so far behind the jet, your still back in the mainland. Your fine in your little enclosed box in China but leave your element and you can't keep up or play in the big league.

WYOMINGPILOT,

What do the young Chinese captains say in response to that ?

bafanguy; What do the young Chinese captains say in response to that ?[/QUOTE said:
Again for the most part the overall sentiment towards the foreign (ExPat) pilots is one of acceptance. They understand the high demand for Captains in the rapidly expanding environment. All of the FOs are quite open and friendly and a pleasure to fly with. The young Captains who know our salaries and schedules however sometimes display a little bit of a pompous attitude and that's when I destroy them with the above previous post. The senior Captains actually have better schedules and the experienced Instructors actually earn more than us but in my opinion they earn it all as it is a very difficult flying environment. China is not a career option as an ExPat, it is strictly a place to earn the Big Cash for one at the most 2 contracts and then move on to a career job and escape with your dignity intact. Some pilots come here thinking they can hang on for a decade or longer and I cringe at the thought of doing this for that long. The medicals, delays, pollution, cultural differences, QAR, and no long term stability will eventually wear you down. In the short term, 1 to 2 contracts a great option to shore up your kids college, pay off the house, get out of debt, build you a nest egg and then move on.

Latest resources

Back