• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chill out Delta!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where are mil pilots going straight to the left seat without getting a couple years in the right seat? That doesn't even happen at our place. BTW I think all civilian pilots would benefit from going through a military flight program, it would eliminate the weak ones.

Hate to "burst your bubble". I've flown with excellent ex-military pilots, however some of the worst ones have also come from there. Apparently, the military flight program doesn't always "eliminate the weak ones"!

Hate to "burst your bubble". I've flown with excellent ex-military pilots, however some of the worst ones have also come from there. Apparently, the military flight program doesn't always "eliminate the weak ones"!
That just isn't my experience, it may be yours and that is fine, but the other fact is mil pilots do seem to get head of the line privileges for major airline jobs there must be something the hiring managers like.

That just isn't my experience, it may be yours and that is fine, but the other fact is mil pilots do seem to get head of the line privileges for major airline jobs there must be something the hiring managers like.

Killer tax breaks for hiring vets. No offense, thanks for their service.

Because FO at a major is the second highest paying position in civilian flying next to capt.

One should not be "learning on the job" while accruing seniority at a major.
Sorry-

Major 121 carriers don't fly mil ops-
It's a different rhythm.

One may be almost qualified out of the military but shouldn't be hired directly into the highest paid civilian 121 jobs with no civilian 121 experience.

Disagree with you there. If they made all mil guys go to a regional first, very few if any mil pilots would be going to the airlines. Just like civilian regional pilots, they already paid their dues flying 10-20 years in the military. If you can handle flying in the military + have a good attitude, a mil guy shouldn't have any issues. Flying an airliner isn't that hard.

Last edited:
Disagree with you there. If they made all mil guys go to a regional first, very few if any mil pilots would be going to the airlines. Just like civilian regional pilots, they already paid their dues flying 10-20 years in the military. If you can handle flying in the military + have a good attitude, a mil guy shouldn't have any issues. Flying an airliner isn't that hard.

Several years back, a few military guys told me they refused to apply to several regionals who were hiring, and were waiting until slots at the majors opened up again. You know, waiting for the red carpet to roll out for them. They preferred to keep proficient in the reserves rather than get tangled up with a regional QOL.

It's that 'entitlement' attitude. Many feel they're above the Regionals, even though I know of F15, B52, C130, Navy stuff, Army Helios, even a couple of Coast Guard pilots at ASA, err, XJet.

hey preferred to keep proficient in the reserves rather than get tangled up with a regional QOL.
That is because they could make more money and have more days off than working at a regional. Wheen I lost my Corp job in 1982, I couldn't find anyone who paid better than the reserves.

It's that 'entitlement' attitude. Many feel they're above the Regionals, even though I know of F15, B52, C130, Navy stuff, Army Helios, even a couple of Coast Guard pilots at ASA, err, XJet.

Hey General, what's a helio? Some kind of solar powered aircraft?

Latest resources

Back