• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Check In for Dec 29th class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, unless you have a intermediate step that would require a stop inside the FAF.

Then why do you set the MCP altitude to zero ? Aren't there enough ways to screw up and fly an aircraft into the ground ? Is it something as simple as software ?

For the love of tightly muscled sheep buttock ....... Why !

:D

Doing some reading through the FOM (SWA) and I have a question...Do you guys use a derived decision alt in place of a mode annunciation of "altitude hold"?

RV

The mode annunciation is an FMA on the PFD. The MDA(DA) is set separately. it doesn't have anything to to with a mode annunciation of ALT hold.

Or there is something very, very different about SWA 737s.

RV, the way I understand it is that if the approach lists a MDA, they use a DDA in lieu of the MDA (this does not apply to approaches created after 1950 that already have a DH or a DA).

When there is an MDA, add 50' to the MDA, which becomes your DDA. The DDA is set using the "baro" mins selector on the EFIS panel, not the Altitude selector on the MCP.

As Dicko said, be prepared to set zero in the MCP, after you point the nose at the ground. It makes for a warm and fuzzy approach in a round-dialed ancient tub with no NAV display and no autothrottles or GPS. Good times, good times. :beer:

Thanks for the responses.. I was trying to equate it to what we do in the 71. And that's when altitude hold appears in the fma either we see it or we go around. I guess the DDA allows for a "roundout" from the descent to the DDA altitude without going below minimums. So in essence, its about the same thing.

RV

I guess the DDA allows for a "roundout" from the descent to the DDA altitude without going below minimums. So in essence, its about the same thing.

RV

Exactly.

Then why do you set the MCP altitude to zero ?

:D

They ask me to, and in return I get money on the 5th and the 20th.

Aren't there enough ways to screw up and fly an aircraft into the ground ?

I would hope not, is this really more difficult than I am lead to believe?:eek:

Is it something as simple as software ?

Yeah that's it! Software will fly the plane for you! :rolleyes:

For the love of tightly muscled sheep buttock ....... Why !

Just to piss you off. We love to see that RCA dog with a Edison Bell cylinder phonograph look on your face. The -300's are my new thrill rides.

Thanks for the responses.. I was trying to equate it to what we do in the 71. And that's when altitude hold appears in the fma either we see it or we go around. I guess the DDA allows for a "roundout" from the descent to the DDA altitude without going below minimums. So in essence, its about the same thing.

RV

I had a friend on the other side translate for me.

Comparing a SWA LNAV/VNAV to AirTran LNAV/VNAV :

SWA does not set a DA, in lieu of an MDA. They use a derived DA (MDA +50) so that they don't go below minimums on a missed approach. We use a DA that allows us to go below the MAP altitude (like an ILS) when carrying out a missed approach.

Their VNAV also works differently. Yes, it's software.

Latest resources

Back