chautauqua question.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fo.mafia.4 life

So, today I was on a dedhead sitting just behind the wing. While landing I noticed the markings on the flap fairing showed that the flaps were only extended to 22 with no fire trucks chasing us down the runway and when the crew handed the plane off to the next crew I overheard them state it was a "good plane." I'm an ASA guy so I am not familiar withe erj or chautauqua,s proceedures, my question is does chautaqua routinely land flaps 22or did these guys just forget to put the flaps all the way down? Not trying to flame just curious.

Used to be like that for XJT 5 years ago to save fuel, but the brakes were getting expensive or something like that.

Used to be like that for XJT 5 years ago to save fuel, but the brakes were getting expensive or something like that.

It was more costly during gear overhaul. All things being equal ( rate of descent/weight), the faster landing speeds require the gear to absorb much more energy.

Brakes, reverser usage and long long landings led XJT away from flaps 22 landings. The glaring issue IMO was that they never really taught the technique for it which lead to guys holding power in WAY longer than was required. I mean, really its 5kts faster, not crazy, but when a guy holds power into the flare without f45 to drag your ass down, youre going to float and then you have to hog on the brakes really hard while spooling the motors in reverse. I like F22 landings, I feel like a get a smoother landing due to not having all the drag out there of F45.

Funny thing about the brake wear, on a dry runway I could feel the anti-skid cycling, these guys were standing on the brakes. BTW, I apologize all the mistakes in my original post, it was sent from my phone.

Last edited:
In theory they're 5 knots faster however everyone seems to have trouble not being 10-15knots fast throughout the approach. Engines are kinda sluggish in that 55% N1 range, requiring fairly large changes to get more thrust. I liked the novelty of hem but in the end I prefer the consistency ( maybe not as smooth) landings w/ 45.

Get a life dude and worry about things that matter to YOU. This is by far my biggest pet peeve when a crew member in the back, deadheading or not, needs to question everything. Next time put your ear plugs in, take a nap, and thank the crew on your way out for getting you there safely.

Chautauqua Questions...

Get a life dude and worry about things that matter to YOU. This is by far my biggest pet peeve when a crew member in the back, deadheading or not, needs to question everything. Next time put your ear plugs in, take a nap, and thank the crew on your way out for getting you there safely.

Your kind of weird about other crew members asking questions. I had people ask me questions on my flights and really not a big deal. Are you trying to hide something or just paranoid.

Latest resources

Back