Chautauqua Pool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilotdad

The question that I get out of all of this is where are you getting your information from? Come November Comair is out of MCO, only CHQ pilots, so those pilot's have no say in anything whether they stay there or not, unless they decided to interview with CHQ, get the job, and then have the ability to bid MCO as their crew base. As far as the Purdue bashing going on, me nor any of my fellow classmates have made any statements regarding that we are better than any other pilot's out there. I know, and I think my classmates, that were fortunate to be placed in the hiring pool at CHQ, feel extremely lucky and grateful to be given an opportunity as such. And we will do our best to meet if not exceed the expectations set in front of us.

Purdue Bashing???

Purdue Bashing???

Did you READ what that kid wrote? Did you hear the arrogance in his words? It had NOTHING to do with Purdue, and EVERYTHING to do with HIM.

He should have chosen his audiance a little bit more carefully. The vast majority of the pilots here flight instructed until they had 1200 hours, then flew single-pilot night freight until they were given the opportunity to fly for Chautauqua.

But even then they didnt slide right into the right seat of a regional jet -- oh no, they were out in the cold Jamestown winter with no autopilot driving a Metroliner, or spinning the props on a Jetstream after shutdown in Altoona. On sundays they flew 10 legs a day and were proud to be doing it.

There is nothing wrong with pride on one's alma mater, however a little humility will take him a long way. He has in no way, shape, or form paid his dues. He is making a fantastic leap in career progression and should feel PRIVILEGED to have that opportunity. There are Captains at Chautauqua who have been there for 8, 10, 15 years and who will not take kindly to his attitude.

If he truly is the aviator that he claims to be, then his skill will speak for itself -- but he needs to understand very clearly that he has NOT paid his dues...he has NOT earned the right to sit in that RJ... he is receiving a GIFT and should treat it as such.

Be grateful my friend, there are over 6000 ALPA pilots out there, furloughed from other airlines, who are fighting to get jobs such as yours. And some of them have actually FLOWN 727s.

Fraternally,
A former-big-mouth who learned his lesson the hard way.

BOTTOM LINE:

If you take ten 300hr pilots you will find one that has great ability and can keep up and do a great job in the real world. This individual will recognize that they received an excellent education that provides them with a solid foundation to start at the beginning and learn the airline business.

The other nine, what more needs to be said. They come out of school with their heads pumped so full of crap that they have no ability to shut up and listen and learn. Flying with them is like being a flight instructor all over again.

Problem is thay all come out of school with that same shiny stamp on their file. No way to tell them apart. And that is where all the resentment etc begins.

PUFLIGHT...

Read my previous post on this thread, I BEG YOU TO READ & UNDERSTAND. It's some of the best advice I've ever given.
Remember, I was there where you are now, so I KNOW!

One things different now though. CHQ doesn't have a shortage of qualified pilots now... Obviously you didn't read bvt1151's airhead post. His/her's attitude won't fly too far in today's airline world. And speaking from the Fortune 500's corporate world, we'd tolerate that attitude for about one 3-day, that's it....

Thats all, I'll shut up now.

Another grateful Purdue poolie

I'd like to second the feelings expressed by the majority of my classmates.

We feel extremely honored and fortunate to have been accepted into the CHQ hiring pool. Although we may not have had to flip very many hamburgers or turn many Jetstream props through in sub-freezing weather, we look forward to being an integral part of CHQ and doing the best job we can for our airline and our customers.

I look forward to sitting three feet to your right!

puflight

You are correct. If any of the Comair pilots move to CHQ, they will have to bid from the bottom. However, I doubt that MCO will be senior for Captains as they will make more money flying a 145. I do not know about the 135 vs the 140. So maybe a few junior FOs may try to make the switch and try to get the MCO route, but I doubt if they would as many FOs already at CHQ would probably like to be in Orlando. I think their will be close to 200 new pilots hired. Good luck and get those resumes in to CHQ all you furloughed guys. At least a job is a job.

well that clears things up a bit....hope that 200 figure holds true pilotdad. With 22 new jets and options for more it looks like it pretty much has to! Now the million dollar question remains....when are they going to recall everyone and start hiring off the street??

Well, as a current flight instructor waiting for my call back to an airline, I must say that comments made in here are really getting to be pretty childish by some of the younger guys. Enough bashing, enough name calling. I flew at UND, and I in no way call myself the best or anyone out of here the best, or Embry Riddle the best, or Purdue the best. They are all great schools. My situation currently is waiting for PDT to call and get us out to fly. I am grateful (can't stress it enough) that I am able to start flying with only 1000 hours. Currently I am married, carry a total of 4 jobs to make ends meet. You snotty nosed little daddy paying brats don't know what its like to get up in -40 degree weather, fly for 5 hours, go to the next job, and then go to the other job that night. Get up and do the same thing all over again. One of my friends graduated out of UND and went straight to great lakes. Guess what he's doing now, he wants nothing to do with flying. You need to still put in your time to appreciate what is too come. I am gonna tell you guys again, you start going off at the mouth in front of a 10,000 hour captain about how much crap you went through to get where you are, you are probably gonna get a hand across the face. Change your attitudes boys, you older guys need to write in here about what it took you guys to get into the right seat so these younger punks (like me) see what others used to have to do. Quit the University bashing, "Don't be arrogant at what you do, there is always someone better then you."

frqntflyr

I believe about all should be recalled by the end of June. Can not say for sure. Do not know when hiring off the street will commence. All the retraining for the Saab guys takes a little while. Also point of interest, everyone who was terminated is getting his or her original hire date back for seniority purposes, so those RJ FOs who were called back first get bumped back by the Saab guys who were called back later, but had earlier hire dates. Really seems fair and eases some of the tension that was created before.

Purdue pool

First of all I want to aggree that we should end the College bashing. However, as a former Purdue student, who has worked his *ss off to get where he is, I want all the "poolies" to understand, that YOU DO NOT RECEIVE A PAYCHECK FROM CHAUTAUQUA!!! THEREFORE, YOU NEED TO KEEP YOUR COCKY MOUTHS SHUT. READ POSTS, BUT DO NOT WRITE IN ASKING QUESTIONS WHETHER OR NOT YOU SHOULD "FLIGHT INSTRUCT OR HOLD OUT FOR CHQ TO CALL" you have no idea how lucky you are to be in the pool. I am aware that many of your compadres weren't so lucky. Purdue offers a wonderful program, but let your actions speek louder than your words. If you're a good stick, who cares where you were trained.
Just remember, being in the pool, barely means you will have a job. And I guarantee, it won't be until all the previous "furloughs" and existing pool members are called. Enjoy your vacations, and try getting up in the weather and build some experience. Overall, you are making the rest of us, who are so thankful to have jobs, look bad!!
To address some of the other info presented about MCO. The ramp, ops personnel, and other ground crew that choose to stay in Orlando will be offered employment with CHQ. The COMAIR pilots will not get preferential hiring just to stay in Florida. These routes will be flown by CHQ pilots.

Latest resources

Back