Challenging or educational approaches

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

centralpilot

I'm trying to find some of the more challenging, interesting, educational, etc. Instrument Approach Procedures out there to use with my instrument students in the flight simulator. An example would by the Marin State (MTN) VOR/DME 15, which I learned about in the DME Arc thread. This is a pretty cool approach with a DME arc to the runway, followed by a seperate arc for the missed approach. If anyone has any favorites or suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

check out the ILS into Burbank (BUR)...it's the only approach I've found in this country that has a higher-than-standard missed approach climb requirement.

Fly safe!

David

There's some arcing TACAN or VOR/DME approach going into Roswell, NM. They actually sell t-shirts in the FBO, referring to it as the widowmaker. It's pretty wild.

There is an approach out in Southern califlornia which has you fly a localizer from an airport other than the one you are landing at. Can't remeber the airports, but in the LA area. Fly a LOC to the shore to one airport, then make a 90 degree left turn to the airport you are landing at. Pretty high mins as I remember.

There are some interesting charted visual approach procedures out there too... Here are a few to take a look at:

River Visual @ DCA
Habor Visual @ PWM
Seaward or Highway Visual @ ANC
Expressway Visual at LGA

LOC/DME BC-B

The back course getting into KMFR is a good one for stepdown fixes. All four of them within seven miles of each other. That's gotta be fun in a jet.

Flyerjosh said:
There are some interesting charted visual approach procedures out there too... Here are a few to take a look at:

River Visual @ DCA
Habor Visual @ PWM
Seaward or Highway Visual @ ANC
Expressway Visual at LGA

Ooooh, a coupla the coolest jumpseat rides I ever had were on the River Visual!

I don't know how the charted VAPs work in the simulator the guy that started the thread uses, but if nothing else, give your students the LDA/DME Rwy 19 at DCA: http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0603/00443LDAD19.PDF Crank in a big southwest wind and tell 'em if they deviate more than one dot to the left they'll get shot down...

Latest resources

Back