Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

P3-Adub

Bye Bye !!!
I just finished a search and did not see anything specific, a lot of guesses. I will check out BCA and NBAA next week, I was just wondering if someone had it close at hand ? Is there a difference between a 600, 601-3A/R, and a 604 ??? Really only interested in what is published as I know that every company is different and pay rates vary around the country. Thanks in advance.

The 'difference' is that the 600 is a 25 year old airplane - all of the Challengers are the exact same physical dimensions but that's about all they have in common. 600/601 is a common type and the 601 has different(GE) engines, more fuel, some improved systems etc. The 604 is a totally different airplane than the 600 new systems, EFIS, etc. - with 20,000 pounds of fuel it's a real travelin' airplane.

I don't have any salary surveys in front of me. The last one I saw was not one of the well known surveys and only had a listing for 'Challenger'. From real world experience I can tell you that 604 guys in my part of the country are getting around 20% more than a 600 Capt.. You know all of the variables so I won't go into that but the 604 is a serious international airplane and commands a pretty high salary. The 600's are becoming more of a short distance domestic airplane as the fleet gets older. The 601 is somewhere in between.

CL600Pilot(Soon to be 604 pilot)

CL600

Sorry I did not clarify, what I meant about the differences was in pay between the different models. I hope to be going to 601-3R training soon and was just curious what kind of pay one might expect once making the full transition to Capt. I understand that Initial training covers all of the models except the 604. Different type as well. Thanks for the info.

As far as the 604 guys getting 20% more, well the investement in the purchase should well enough justify a higher salary ! Have fun on the 604 !

Salary reply

There is a difference in pay between the Challenger 600 and the 601/604.

Captain:

601/604 High: $125,000
Average: $ 97,000
Low: $ 60,000

600 High: $105,000
Average: $80,000
Low: $54,000

This is taken from BCA.

salaries

P3-Adub,

Peardc10's numbers look good but there are many other variables as you infered like your base location, overall experience, and amount of international flying you have done and will be doing. I've too have been trying to get the published NBAA numbers for a while without any luck.

Since I don't have published numbers, maybe this will help your expectations. I've flown many different CL's for the last 6 years and found that true international captains on any 601-3A or R, (AKA the UHF, ultimate hemerrhoid factory), should get at least 100K before bonuses to start.

Good luck and let me know what happens. Need any info on the 3R, just PM me. Got about 1,000 hours in several.

Good luck,

Thanks !

Appreciate the info. There are a couple senior guys flying the plane so I have plenty of help in the operations department, salary info is an area that people do not like to talk much about within a company, understandably so.

International flying ? Been there done that, only excited about the paycheck that comes with it. The hassle factor is up there. Flying domestic seems pretty easy after doing a few crossings. I like the hop over to Hawaii much more than going to Europe. Gee, could it be the wonderful reception that one gets from Air Service Hawaii ? Great people !

So far I like the Challenger. Not as nice a flying plane as the Gulfstreams though. Yeah I know, the GII/GIIIs are a bit old however they really are fun to fly. I flew a straight pipe GII with winglets for a little while, that was the best ! I was not very popular with the retirement comunity 2 miles off of the end of the runway though ! What a performer !

Thanks again for the info, just hoping to get industry average ! :)

In February of 2000 I was offered a CL600 job at $120K. I thought the money aspect of the job was about "right". I turned it down because I didn't want to fly Pt. 135 again.

That job would have also been going to Hawaii a lot, which sounds great initially, but then you think about it. It's horribly boring 6 hour flight, followed by a week away from your family, another 6 hour flight home. Then the usual 135 charters in-between Hawaii trip. Sure, it would be fun the first few times, but imagine your 10th trip to Maui in the last 4 months, while your house is falling apart because your not home to fix it!

Maui sure beats Fargo, and if you were making $120k a year you could pay someone to fix the house......just my two cents.

Superfueler said:
Maui sure beats Fargo, and if you were making $120k a year you could pay someone to fix the house......just my two cents.

How does that song go "more money, more problems!"

By the time you pay Uncle Sam, the state, Social Security, mortgages, 401k, IRA's, electric, phone, cars, etc., that $500 it costs to repair the sprinklers hurts!

501261 said:
That job would have also been going to Hawaii a lot, which sounds great initially, but then you think about it. It's horribly boring 6 hour flight, followed by a week away from your family, another 6 hour flight home. Then the usual 135 charters in-between Hawaii trip. Sure, it would be fun the first few times, but imagine your 10th trip to Maui in the last 4 months, while your house is falling apart because your not home to fix it!

Yeah, that is what people tend to forget... these exotic destinations sound cool... until you are going there all of the time... Remember, it does turn into "just a job" after a while...

Latest resources

Back