Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fussle

Oh John...
I am soon ready to start up on my CFII training. I was just wondering what the best way to prepare for the CFII checkride was, and how long the ride normally takes. Also, what is the common length and material discussed on this ride?

The CFII is a very easy checkride. If you can fly on instruments and talk at the same time, then you'll be fine. Read through the instrument Gleim book, and take the FII, which is also fairly easy. Oral is around an hour and the flight also the same.

Study your rear off. And by the way, my CFII was the most difficult ride I have ever taken, and that includes the initial CFI. Now, that may have been because the examiner was acting like a horse's posterior, but I'm just saying that it this ride ain't always a cupcake.

-Goose

CFI-I practical

The CFI-I practical is basically an instrument ride out of the right seat. The oral will be much more in-depth, and, of course, you will have to prepare a lesson plan.

Know the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook forwards and backwards. Know primary and supporting forwards and backwards. Know the gyro instruments and pitot-static instruments forwards and backwards. Know the AIM, charts and regs. Know and be able to teach radio navigation and holding. Know ADF. Also, be prepared to answer FOI questions. Although you've already demonstrated FOI knowledge during your CFI initial, some examiners still like to test it on subsequent CFI add-ons.

As always, the PTS will give you what you need to know and the FAA materials from which your practical is drawn. You will be responsible for the contents of those materials.

Oral could take a couple of hours. Flight should run something like 1.5. Of course, do not stop teaching until the examiner signs your Temporary and hands it to you.

Hope that helps some more. Good luck with the practical.

Last edited:
Cfi-i

Is this your initial CFI rating? Do you already have your CFI-A?

If you already have your CFI-A the oral should be short and as stated previously, the flight about 1.5. Do not stop teaching until the examiner tells you.

If this is your initial flight instructor certificate, expect the oral to be a bit longer - I would guess about 4 hours. The flight should still be about 1.5.

Are you going to a DPE or the FSDO for the checkride?

I did my CFII/MEI in June of this year with a DE. I already had the initial CFI done. My oral lasted 30 minutes for each add-on. The flights lasted just over a hour each. The CFII ride was difficult because we were near Dullas doing Approaches in to KMRB which was very busy at that time. I actually had to stop talking/teaching to fly the plane.

We were given holds and such and I told the DE that I could talk more, but the biggest lesson I could teach him right at this second was when to realize that talking during a high workload is not productive and could lead to missing a call from ATC. The DE was extremely happy with the way I devided the high workload and CRM.

Latest resources

Back