CFI salaries vs 121 Salaries

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dharmesh1231

It's pretty amazing to see what the industry has come down to. CFI salaries from flight schools and pilot factories have gone up significantly. Saw a couple of academies in Phx oferring 2K bonuses and $30/hr, while regional salaries are still sailing in the 19/hr range. Wonder what change 2008 will bring in to aviation.

Any takers??

That's a pretty good instructor pay...but even if you can bill 100 hours/mo, you top out very quickly at what still is a fairly low salary with little opportunity for advancement.

If anyone is in this industry for the pay or the retirement package, then I would suggest that you go and talk to a financial planner as soon as possible.

You'll make more instructing (vs. first couple years as FO), but you'll work much harder than you ever will in the 121 world.

If anyone is in this industry for the pay or the retirement package, then I would suggest that you go and talk to a financial planner as soon as possible.
get out and live long.

I'm almost done slogging through first year airline pay. I knew it would be bad when I started, but I just didn't realize HOW bad it would be.

I took a 50% pay cut to leave flight instructing to go to the regional FO gig.

I'll bite...

I thought new hires were making in the mid 20's now...which sucks but as a CFI you may make $30 an hour but in 5 years you will still make $30 an hour...and in 10 years you will still make $30 an hour (maybe $35).

I made $25 an hour when I was a CFI 5 years ago...I took a slight pay cut--but only in hourly rate--as a CFI I worked 6 days a week. As a 121 pilot I had a 401k, paid vacation, paid sick days, health insurance, travel benefits on just about any airline in the world, plus I made $65 an hour as a captain after just 18 months as a F/O.

I am so sick off hearing how bad it is flying for regional verses instructing. If you want to CFI for the rest of your life, more power to you, but you are not going to make as much as a regional pilot, period. Yes, first year pay sucks second year it goes up to mid 30’s and third year late 30’s to 40. Then you upgrade to a captain and make $65 to $75 an hour depending on the regional you fly for. That comes out to between 60 to 75 thousand a year. You can make more based on your seniority and if you want to join the training department which can bring you close to 90,000 to a 100,000. Also keep in mind 401, medical benefits and travel privileges.

I am so sick off hearing how bad it is flying for regional verses instructing. If you want to CFI for the rest of your life, more power to you, but you are not going to make as much as a regional pilot, period.

If I were to leave my CFI job to go to a regional right now, I wouldn't be money ahead until I had been at that regional for almost 12 years.

Plus, I'm home every night, get off work by 1PM most days, have terrific bosses, and am treated as an asset, not a liability.

And yes, I have vacation, medical, dental, vision, and 401k.....GOOD medical, dental, vision and 401k.

I don't have travel benefits, but those seem to be coming more and more difficult to exercise, from what I understand.

When I listen to my friends that have gone to regionals in the last three years, all I hear is bitching.

Something's gonna have to change...fortunately, the invisible hand is starting to work it's magic right now.

Where are these people instructing to make more money than even at first year regional pay. In 2003 I made 9K FULL TIME as a CFI the entire year! I was paid $10 an hour and working my arse off at a flight school in Orlando (the flight school charged $35 an hour for my services). My first year at a regional I doubled my yearly pay.

Latest resources

Back