Cfi (s)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lynxman

Does anybody know if having your CFI (S) basically your sport pilot cfi certificate allow you to be exempt from FOI questions on a CFIA checkride?

Good question. Ya made me reach for the old reg book.

First, it's gonna be up to the Examiner, but, for fun, I looked at and compared the requirements of a CFI-A vs. a CFI-S.

At first, it looks like the CFI-S has to take the same FOI written, but it looks like the CFI-S does not have FOI in his required flight training.

61.187 (CFI-A) flight proficiency;
(b)(1)(i) Fundamentals of instructing.

Under 61.409 flight proficiency requirements for CFI-S do not list this requirement, and would not be testable (except that the Examiner can ask whatever he wants anyway) on the CFI-S, so it would be a requirement on the CFI-A

I'm just shootin' in the dark here. looking at the regs. I have no idea how it is in the field. No Sport airplanes in my neighborhood, but I am interested and always looking.

61.405 states for the knowledge tests you need the FOI under 61.407 and 61.407 makes it look like it's the same FOI I have taken already. I'm wondering if the DE I take this with will collect my FOI written. If that's the case then when I go for my CFIA later I guess I'll have to explain this scenario. Hopefully when I go for that ride they will have some mercy on me if I've got some dual given under my belt.

I'm sure he will take the FOI written, because it is a requirement for the checkride, and when you do the CFI-A, having a CFI-S will tell the examiner that you have already given your FOI written, but the question is, will the CFI-S ride have FOI on the oral? According to 61.409, no FOI is required on the flight portion, but that would be in the CFI-S PTS.

Hopefully, you do have a CFI-S PTS, and the TASK of FOI on the oral would be listed. Or not.

I don't have one right now my instructor does, I've only just started this avenue not even realizing it existed until last week. This whole sport pilot rating to me at first sounded like a bunch of BS but the more I examine it the cooler and more I appreciate it.

Latest resources

Back