CFI Renewal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SinglePliot135

Its that time again... has anyone done the courses recently. I am looking to do it either online or with a DVD course due to my lack of a schedule. The Gleim is $100, the Jepp $142. Which is better, lakes less time, etc. Are there any better choices out there?

I think I did Jepp DVD takehome. Funny, I didn't bother to watch the DVD's at all......and it didn't matter. If I remember correctly, each chapter has the answers printed on the following page as the quiz.

American Flyers does one that is supposedly one fee for life. I've heard mixed review of it.

My choice for online is Gleim. It's fast - there are no time limits imposed, which many of the others have. So it's as fast or slow as you want (or can make it and still cover all the topics). For each oipic, there is a non-counting pre-test, followed by a review of the materials and the the real test. The materials ar Gleim-standard (which to me means pretty good) and in pdf format so you can save them if you want.

If you've been to the site, you should have seen that you can do one of the topic tests for free and see if you like the format or not.

Online is a good way to go as well...if you are pressed for time.

If you choose the DVD home study version, make sure you have at least 2 months to complete. It takes a while when you send the quizzes and paperwork back and forth.

If you choose the DVD home study version, make sure you have at least 2 months to complete. It takes a while when you send the quizzes and paperwork back and forth.

Hmmm, this sounds bothersome. I think online may be the ticket. Thanks for the replies all.

I take the gleim online course every time and typically complete it in two to three days. I find it very helpful and better than the jep

The American Fliers one you can do in about 20-30 minutes of actually sitting at the computer time. Just use Firefox as your browser, right click on study page, select reload every 5 minutes. You can then go do whatever and when the 90 minutes or whatever of study time required has passed you can then take that sections test (which takes about 5 minutes). You can search through the study section while taking the test as well to get all the answers.

If all you are interested in is the easiest and least amount of hassle to renew American Fliers is the deal in my opinion. If you actually want to learn something well then I would agree that their program sucks for that.

A while back I took the Jepp online course and thought it was pretty good. This time around I took the Jepp DVD version. Like someone else said it can be pretty cumbersome because you have to write out your answers and send them in. Then they send you the final exam and you have to send it in as well. The DVD course was good but I found all the writing and paperwork to be annoying. All in all I liked the online version much better.

Latest resources

Back