Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dharmesh1231

Hi guys,

I have a question. If you have an offer to CFI for $63K tax free salary overseas or have a chance to get into 121 like the market is right now and think about the pay....what would you choose. The money or the equipment?? I have 1000TT 100 multi and have given about 500 hrs of instruction so far....so let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance

It depends on your ultimate goals...

If you want to bounce around GA, take some interesting jobs in different places, fly alaska bush, and maybe end up in corporate, do whatever is fun.

If you want an airline career...get on with it. You have the time for the better regionals, and some will upgrade you in 2 years (maybe less). You can make $50K+ after first year at some regionals, and $70K plus as a junior CA.

Long term the money is likely to be better at the major airlines, and the regionals are the way to get there.

63K to instruct? In what? Instructing who?

Sounds to me like a lot of headaches, hence the extremely high pay for a CFI.

On the other hand, with your time you can go fly an RJ for a regional and get crapped on all day like the rest of us. Woo hoo.

Like Rickair said, I guess it depends on your goals. If you really want to be an airline pilot, let us talk you out of it. If you like airplanes and want to make some sweet moolah foa a little while, go for the CFI job. If you want a stable career with decent pay, either go to law school or get an MBA.

Hi guys,

I have a question. If you have an offer to CFI for $63K tax free salary overseas or have a chance to get into 121 like the market is right now and think about the pay....what would you choose. The money or the equipment?? I have 1000TT 100 multi and have given about 500 hrs of instruction so far....so let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance

Do the CFI thing. You will make 3 times the money that you would as an FO and your schedule will be better!

Where Overseas? I learned in Okinawa, Japan at the Kadena Flight Training Center. (Tama, there's one for you)!

Thanks guys definitely appreciate the replies.....the job is in Dubai. 63K starting salary....all tax free instructing in a Cirrius SR20/22. I am currently a US Marine and definitely want to do the airline gig....just looking at the salaries at the regionals is pretty scary. Getting into the regionals from the Marines, I will be looking at almost a 40% pay cut and was trying to see how to support a family with that kind of pay.

Thanks guys definitely appreciate the replies.....the job is in Dubai. 63K starting salary....all tax free instructing in a Cirrius SR20/22. I am currently a US Marine and definitely want to do the airline gig....just looking at the salaries at the regionals is pretty scary. Getting into the regionals from the Marines, I will be looking at almost a 40% pay cut and was trying to see how to support a family with that kind of pay.

Will you be moving your family to Dubai? 63K in Dubai is good for a single guy, but not for a family. You may want to think about that.

I did! I went from E-7 (20 years served) to this gig. SO I can understand the pay cut, with having a family and all.

Latest resources

Back