• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI before CFII?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Affirm. You can get your CFII before CFI. A lot of the factory schools do this - in fact, one school does CFII, MEI and then CFI. The reason - you do the CFII in a C-172 or some other simple trainer, then you go do all the complex manuevers in the twin and then the CFI ride is back to a "simple" airplane since you have already demonstrated the "complex" stuff in the twin. The other reason is that the oral for your "first" ticket gets to be more "instrument" based and the questions on the airplane are only on a "simple" aircraft - remember your "first" CFI check ride is with an FAA person or one of the FAA designated DE's. All the add-on's are with a DE of "your" choice.

If you think about it, there is a slight cost saving in doing it this way and you are doing less switching back and forth between simple, complex and twin aircraft.

And for all those still scratching heads, look at the PTS for any Instructor rating - there is a chart which show "Required Area of Operation" that can be waived if the candidate already owns a certificate.

If you intend to get "all" your ratings and then teach - pick the simplest and most cost efficient way. If you have the need to teach - then get the CFI (ASE) rating first.

CFII before CFI

I did. I did some of my training backasswards because of my work schedule in those days. I had finished my Commercial before my Instrument. I finished my Instrument and my instructor thought it would be a good idea to go for my CFI-I first because I was fresh off my instrument and I would go back to the same examiner.

My examiner's interpretation was because it was an initial CFI certification that I had to take the flight in a high-performance (complex) airplane, so I furnished an Arrow. He ended up doing all the flying. It was a joke, really, but this was before the days of Practical Test Standards.

Further to Tarp's comments, I've heard of programs in which people get their initial Commercial-Instrument in a twin and then move over to the right seat to take MEI and CFI-I - even in the same practical. Then they get back in a simple single and take CFI-A. Good way to get the most bang from the multi buck.

Last edited:
Same here. CFII first, MEI next, and CFI will be the last.

Regarding the written portion, you'll need the FOI for your initial and the Instrument Instructor for the CFII. Then, for either the MEI or CFI , whichever you do next, you'll need the FIA.

You can do any of the instructor ratings as your initial. If you're fresh out of instrument, do your II as the initial. Anything to save money.
I just did my MEI and II all in one ride and that saved me some $$. Whichever you choose, your initial exam will involve FOI, and that in itself can be quite daunting! I would say take a look at the PTS task tables for each of the instructor ratings and decide which you think would be easiest to do as your initial. Also, you'll probably spend most of the II ride teaching while the examiner flies, which may be a plus.

-j

If one took the FOI written for their CFI, do they have any writtens (FOI written) for the CFII?

CFI writtens

gizbug said:
If one took the FOI written for their CFI, do they have any writtens (FOI written) for the CFII?
You take three written examinations for your CFIs. The FOI written, FIA written and FII written. There is no written exam for MEI.

If you don't want to be an instrument instructor you don't need to take the FII. Why any CFI would not want to be an instrument instructor is something I cannot imagine. Get all your airplane instructor ratings if you choose to instruct.

Latest resources

Back