cell use

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

avbug

After reading the comments of a thread here a month or so ago, I elected to ditch my Sprint phone (which was going, regardless), and get Verizon.

I've had it a month now, and haven't been disappointed. It's got good reception everywhere, the company has done what they said they'd do, the talk time on the little phone they sold me is decent, and I'm satisfied. I couldn't say that about Sprint or AT&T.

This comes to mind because I only had the sprint phone for about a week and a half. I turned it back in, got a refund on the phone. They were charging me roaming when they said they wouldn't (clear america or call america, or some other plan like that), couldn't answer two phone calls the consistently, and I had bad service. Dropped calls, delayed messages, scratchy reception in places. So I returned it.

Tonight I get a call from a collector, threatening to disconnect my phone unless I get caught up on my bill. But wait, sez I. I already got a refund on the phone; it's been turned back in, service shut off. Fine, he sez, but pay or we'll shut off your service. And by the way, we're charging you a late fee, and a disconnect fee for "early termination"(how can they charge disconnect fees if they're charging for the service that I'm not receiving...don't even have the phone??). The phone was turned in within the trial period that Sprint specified, but that apparently is only a minor technicality to the honest businessmen there.

Brilliant. He tells me there's nothing he can do, I need to call a number and straighten it out myself. I try the number, it doesn't work. I go down stairs, get my mail. A sprint bill. This one local. They're billing me long distance. Only, I don't get long distance. A month ago I got the bill one day, they cut it off the next, charged fifty bucks to put it back on. I was paying for unlimited long distance, but they refused to put that back on. So I called local on that, and got another royal runaround. They told me everything that had been told me about my phone service was all wrong, that I was getting billed long distance anyway, plus the amount paid that was extra for the unlimited long distance service. Cancell the whole ball of wax, sez I.

This appears to be the way of operation for Sprint. I can't say STAY AWAY from them enough. I thought AT&T was bad (they are), but Sprint sure tries hard to at least place a close second for poor service, poor customer service, shoddy business practices, poor equipment, and a name that isn't worth the ink it takes to write it.

Thanks to those that recommended Verizon. It's nice to be able to use the phone when it's needed, not when the company thinks I ought to be given a charity shot at it. I'd recommend them too...so far, so good.

If you turned it in within 14 days, you should be fine in regards to the cancellation fees. You have that much time to decide if you want it or not..

Oh boy... talking about Sprint... some 2-3 years ago we got a phone bill from BellSouth that stated we made domestic long distance calls in excess of $600 to places within the USA which I never knew existed. It was nonsense to begin with because I only make international calls and no domestic long distance since I have nobody in the USA to call. For international I have a small 3rd party company. Of course Sprint has never been my carrier anyways. Anyhow it turns out BellSouth charged because Sprint charged them in relation to my phone number. Bell wanted to cut my line within 2 days if I don’t send a check but they ended up giving me like 30 days since I disputed the calls.

So I went hell, and also got the royal runaround. It went like this:

Bellsouth - We can’t credit or dispute or even investigate these charges because we did not invoice you on the first place, only Sprint can as they have initiated the invoice... please call Sprint.

So I call Sprint.

Sprint - we don't have a customer number from you or any record of your calls or the bill to BellSouth so call BellSouth.

me then calling BellSouth

BellSouth - we need a written record from Sprint stating that they have no records of those calls.

papa me calling Sprint again

Sprint - We can't provide you with this kind of record due to legal issues.

... and so on until I ended up with a nice lady at BellSouth who decided to call Sprint herself while I was on the phone and since she could not get through she got pissed (actually pissed) and credited the whole bill and sent it back to Sprint. How she did it? Idunno…

However this took me about 2 weeks and anywhere between 10-15h on the phone, mostly on hold and explaining everything from the beginning to representatives who had no clue, then to their supervisors most of those had no clue either.

I whish I was in Hungary where one can go to his local phone company's local office and breach a skull with a shovel if things get outta hand LOL...

BTW I occasionally had to deal with BellSouth and ATT and other phone companies for my company when I was working in the office. The screw up factor is unbelievable. Bottom line is you keep calling until you get that 1 in a 20 nice lady who will fix your problem within 30 min. All the major screw ups have been fixed that way and only that way. Talking to average Joe gets you nowhere 99% of the time.
One time ATT managed to put us out of business for 5 days. Not a single customer was able to call us for five days… then again one lady managed to fix everything in 12 hours. Amazing… It was beyond belief but I won’t type another 50 lines about that. To me these phone companies are the lowest dirt scumbags…

suen1843 said:
So, why is it that I never have any of the problems so many people keep complaining about on this board?

To put it bluntly, because you've never been a Sprint PCS customer. Absolutely, positively, the worst call coverage and worst customer service I've ever seen. My first officer Monday was relating a billing issue she's having, where her normally $100 Sprint bill came in at $700 this month from extra incoming minutes (repeated 30+ minute calls she didn't take). They can't explain it, and won't budge a dime on the bill. "How can you prove I took those calls, when there's no identification on the bill where they came from?" Their answer? "How can you prove you didn't?" Joy.

I had AT&T up until the point I moved to Connecticut, where their TDMA service simply didn't work. Up until that point, I'd been very happy with them, both the call coverage and customer service. I switched to Verizon three years ago, and have been equally satisfied.

Sprint is like a bad dream, seriously. It's in a completely different league from all the others you mention.

Last edited:
Because you are one of the lucky few. Add health insurance companies to the list of shady operators that can make your life miserable and screw up your credit because of errors they made and yet can't seem to fix.

I am happy with my Verizon, which is good because its all we got in WY. However, last month I get this bill for like $700. They quit putting the list of calls on the bill, which makes me mad anyway, so I have to go to the Web site. It took me 2 hours and who knows how many attempts to log on. Once on, I see a call for like 700 minutes. I called Customer service and they told me they showed a call of like 23.5 hours. The bill was so messed up, it didn't add up and that one call. Who am I going to talk to for 23.5 hours?!?!? besides that, my phone would have melted. Anyway, they made it right and credited my account within 10 minutes of calling. I have had my phone for 5 years and that was the only f$ck up I have encountered, and they fixed it quick.

hum...

Well, I know there are a lot of UNHAPPY sprint customers. I have been a customer for over 3 years. by working for my company I get 24% off the total bill and have to go through a single point of contact because I am a "business customer". Those of you who do have sprint and aren't getting a discount for working for your carrier should go and see what you get... some get 10 some get 15 and some get the max of 24% off. Since I have to go through a business rep. they help me out immediately and if there was a problem on the bill they would credit the amount and then some. they know me by name and know my history with out looking at a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** computer. So, I guess its who you deal with (I guess thats the case where ever you go). The moral of the story is, try and see if you get a discount...no matter what cell service you have. You might be surprised. GOOD LUCK

:)

Latest resources

Back