• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathay Interview... Say what???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think so. I had 2800 hours TT and about 2000 Jet PIC and got picked up for FO. I'm one of the least qualified guys I know that got picked up. For Second Officer the minimums are somewhat less.

Look at the careers sections of www.cathaypacific.com

Do they expect you to know the Chinese Aviation regs at the interview?

I've always been interested in Cathay. At the flight school I teach at we had a fresh multi-commericial student get hired on with them. They've got that program for Chinese people (even if they're American) where they'll put you right into a heavey with little flight time.

It reminds me of Mesa's 0 time to airline pilot program only you're going from a light GA aircraft to a heavy. I hear the interview process is quite insane though and you go through additional flight training somewhere in Australia.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/careers/flying/cadetpilot

I had a friend back in college that didn't even finish his degree and still got picked up with this cadet program. Must be nice to be Chinese!

g

Last edited:
No, you don't need to know Chinese regulations for the interview. You get gouge on Hong Kong regulations when you get to training.

If you do get picked up for the Cadet program expect ALOT of training in AUS an then you are a Second Officer. It is extreamly competitive and they only except the absolute best for the program.

Definetly check out the forums at PPrune (frangrant harbour, and, fragrant harbour wannabees). There is a tremendous wealth of information there.

Handling the Big Jets...I bought my book from aviation world in Canada (ordered it online). It cost me $100 Canadian (about $80 or so US). You might be able to find it cheaper on ebay.

People (especially those at Pprune) highly recommend you purchase an hour of time in a 747 simulator. It costs about $500+, but people say it is well worth it.

Again, the BEST place for this info will be found at Pprune.

I just started reading this thread, and I wan to say, way cool, good luck!!:D

How would one go about obtaining the ICAO certificates in the states?

U.S. certificates are ICAO certificates.

Does time in an RJ count as "Airline Jet Transport" time? Or are they talking about mailine aircraft only? Also, am I reading correctly that turboprop PIC only counts if it's in a turboprop heavier than 44,092 lbs?

Last edited:
Bluto said:
U.S. certificates are ICAO certificates.

Duh, thanks. For some reason I was thinking like european type stuff. Sigh...it's been a long day.

AirBadger said:
If you have MSFS 2004, you might take a look at the www.precisionmanuals.com 747-400 add-on. I don't fly the 747 of course but it's very realistic.

I have this and it's AMAZINGLY accurate. You need Boeing manuals to fly the thing properly. It helps me with my line checks and emergency procedure simulators.

If you don't have a type rating or manuals then it's a waste of money and time. You will be extreamly frustrated.

I don't know much about how to get an ICAO lincence in the states or how turbo-prob time figures in to the mix. The Cathay Pacific websight/carrers section will help a little with mins and types of hours they're looking for.

Your US ATP will transfer to a Hong Kong ATP with just a few easy exams. Cathay hooks you up well with conversion.

Latest resources

Back