Cathay Freight Schedule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes more info would be good.

Schedules? Days on / days off? How long are the trips?
Do they have reserve / line holders?

Pay rates? A post last month or so someone mentioned their pay but it wasn't very clear.

I'll second (third?) that request. I received an app from CX for the freighter fleet, and would like to know more. Thanks!

HAL

There is a thread on pprune.org/forums under fragrant harbour that will answer most of your questions. I think it is entitled "Nth America Cathay questions".

Here's a quick rundown however:

Schedule- not bidline. Given roster for the following month on the 15th of current month. There is a system to request a block of 5 days off which you are basically guaranteed of getting, but can only do this once every 6 months and the request has to be in the system 3 months before the month in which you are requesting the days off. The days worked /month varies but generally will fall within the range of anywhere from 12-18 days /mth. Your schedule will average out to be 7 on 7 off roughly. Sometimes you'll do a 5 day trip, other times it could be 9 or 10. Probably expect 2-3 days reserve. On the freighter, don't have to sit reserve in your base.....but need to answer the phone the day or 2 before your reserve day(s) to keep this arrangement in place. ie. guys live all over the place....90% of the crews commute (lots of Canadians with bases in US). So, your time at home will obviously be less if you commute. As an FO you get 6 weeks leave ( I think if you join as an SO in HKG, you start off with less, not exactly sure how much)

Pay- year 1 FO on freighter is about $60K + 15.5% of that as the company contribution to retirement which you can take as cash or have it put away in the company provident fund. Your pay is based on years of service, not a/c type. You receive a few extras on top of your monthly pay based on things like hours worked the previous month. If you choose to go across to the pax fleet after your 3 years on the freighter, your pay will go up significantly.

Anyway, there is lots of info on pprune also, so check it out.

Nobody just decides to transfer to the passenger fleet after three years, and does right away. After three years, you can REQUEST a transfer, not demand it. The company can, and will, DENY the request if it suits their needs. The reason they hire North American citizens for the North American freight bases is only for one reason; cost. They do not have to pay you many "extras", along with extra paper work that is associated with a Hong Kong base. They are not going to rush to pay you more. We are an airline, with management just like any other. Watch how much company "feed (propaganda)" you are fed, and subsequently believe.

Anybody who puts trust in Cathay Pacifc management, has a history lesson that need to be learned. Search Key word "49'ers.
Not to mention, there are VERY few of us "yanks" flying there. Especially on the passenger side. Most American freighter aircraft are staffed with Canadians.

I would try Emirates.

Hiring age limit???

HAL said:
I'll second (third?) that request. I received an app from CX for the freighter fleet, and would like to know more. Thanks!

HAL

Last edited:
center,
ok, should be a bit more careful with my choice of words. Lets put it this way, after 3 years from your initial line check, or 42 months after your date of joining (whichever is earlier) you become "eligible" to be considered for transfer to the pax fleet. You are not required to transfer (I'm sure the company would love you not too), so there is a "choice" for you. The time table written above is the minimum required time on the freighter fleet. I guess you could say it is rare to go across the very date you become eligible, however, if the company elects to defer your transfer, you may be eligible for integration deferment pay. When this pay kicks in, I'm not exactly sure, however, I think it is to do with the time when someone junior to you has taken a position you could concievably have taken up on the pax fleet in HKG or wherever after your eligibility date comes and goes. So, yes, the company can "deny" (ie. delay)your "request" to transfer, but they will pay you as if you had transfered anyway once the requirements for the deferment pay have been met. And yes, there have been plenty of guys who have been delayed in going across, but have been paid accordingly......and the requirements are normally met at about the same time as when you become eligible anyway.

Sure, look at Emirates, make up your mind on all the info you can get. Its got its good and bad points just like anywhere. One of the advantages with CX freighters vs Emirates is that you can stay here in the US.

xray

No, but I'd like to know if...

they have an age limit. Seems like I'd seen somewhere that it was 50.

Latest resources

Back