Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sbav8r

I do deny them my essence
I am located at SBA and I have a question for anyone that operates in the area. SBA, VNY, LAX, BUR etc.

I recently wrote to a cargo operation concern the possibility of riding along for a few flights to simply acquire a real world experience of operations. The company promptly replied with a letter informing me that for 14k I could be so privileged as to sit right seat in an aircraft rated for single pilot operations.

I just want to know if it is possible to ride right seat for observation only. I do not wish to touch the controls or log any time. I simply want to see how you guys fly, since my only experiences are training oriented. I am not about to PFT for any of my time or experience and I am not looking for a short cut. I am going to get my CFI and work my way through the ranks.

Again, I am not looking to log time, I just want to observe for educational purposes.
Is this possible, or since 9\11 are your companies real strict about passengers?

Thanks in advance,
sbav8r

Last edited:
pretty strict over here. you need to be either...

A) an employee of another "recognized" air carrier, or

B) a personal friend of a current employee

...and even in situation B, it dosent always work out (unless the route is late at night and no chance of anyone seeing you) ;)

some do allow it

This isn't in your neck of the woods, just to let you know some do it. Saber Cargo Airlines in Charlotte, NC took ride alongs on the DC-3 flights. The ride alongs were even allowed to fly and log SIC time on the pt 91 legs. The pilots actually preferred it on the longer flights so they clould get a break. You didn't have to pay for the "privelage" either, just be within 30 min of the airport. I don't think saber is currently operating but when they get going again they will probably be doing that again. Just to let you know that tere are some companies that do it.

OPS SPECS

Most Part 135 operators have "specifications" that allow only "approved" personnel not only in the cockpit, but on the aircraft in general. By paying the 14K, you officially become an "approved" person. It's all about the insurance my boy, kick your agent and write to your congressman if you're mad about how the liability aspect of EVERYTHING has developed.

You're attitude about PFT is dead on. Press on, it'll happen one day if you really want it.

Latest resources

Back