Cargo Dogs and aging

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doesn't alcohol mitigate this? ;)

There is nothing like getting off work at 6am and going to the bar. Yes there are some dives that are open at that time.

After working nights, 10pm to 6am, for over a year, I can say that it surely had a negative affect. I didn't realize it til i went back to days.

However pilots are not usually in a M-F situation, and have a mix of days, nights, time off, and decent pay (sometimes). easier that straight nights IMO.

I have heard from many that Cargo Dogs fllying the back side of the clock for most of their career at Fedex, UPS etc age more rapidly than airline guys who fly during the daylight most of their career.

Is this fact or just opinion of a few?

Thanks,

Check Six

Maybe you should research stress at the daylight most of their career guys who are all on the street laid off versus the stress of night FedEx at 225,000 a year with non-existent chance of layoff

wonder what that study looks like

It hasn't effected him a bit, he doesn't look a day over 68. BTW Don't think is the night work, it is the shifting between day and night cycles

I fly almost 5 hours a night, 6:30pm show, usually done by 8am at the latest, 5 days a week. I sleep like a baby, but I don't want to do it for the rest of my life. It is not that working at night is terrible, it is any time you have to do something during the day it wears on your body. Not everything can be done at night, but I have gotten pretty creative about how I get things done.

Yip, your right though, working on a pager is way tougher on the body than just working at night. I am not on call, and for that I am thankful

I've never heard the term "Cargo Dog" before. Freight Dog.... yup. I know that one all too well.

In response to the original poster, there are plenty of studies that show working at night increases you risk of disease and your chance of getting cancer. Like they say, 1 year of human years is equal to 7 dog years. A quick google search will turn up some of them.

I have had the time of my life freight dogging though, so if down the road it costs me a few days of my life, so be it. At least I had a blast!

Maybe you should research stress at the daylight most of their career guys who are all on the street laid off versus the stress of night FedEx at 225,000 a year with non-existent chance of layoff

wonder what that study looks like

I wonder why folks are so sensitive about this? When ever I work days I am routinely amazed at how much better I feel and how much more fun the job is. Working shift backside of the clock work is not ideal.

With layoffs announced at UPS and pay cuts at FedEx there is plenty of stress to go around

I have heard from many that Cargo Dogs fllying the back side of the clock for most of their career at Fedex, UPS etc age more rapidly than airline guys who fly during the daylight most of their career.

Is this fact or just opinion of a few?

Thanks,

Check Six

Fact. Shorter life span too. Well documented. Do a search on Medline.

Fact. Shorter life span too. Well documented. Do a search on Medline.

Yep, sounds about right!:rolleyes:

Just a note from the retired pilot web site at my first cargo airline. Less than 200 pilots for most of their history.

Recent Birthdays

Capt. Vince Sprxxx 92 on Feb. 20, Capt. Joe Szaxxxxx 91 on Feb. 3 , Capt. Ian Adaxxxxx 90 on Jan. 19, Capt. Bill Easxxxx 90 on Jan. 11, Capt. Bob Snoxxxx 96 on Dec. 25

Last edited:
Well Fox, you better write in and have the authors of the clinical studies retract their published articles. Looks like you're right!

I think it has much to do with the individual. Just like some guys seem to like being up at 0400 and are wiped by 1400, others like the back side. I think if you are working against what your body likes it will be more stressful.

In my case getting up hours before daylight kills me. In most cases if I stay up late I can get up when I please thereby getting all the rest I want.

I flew Part 135 freight for three years. My run started at 9:45 PM and I was parking back in at 4:15-4:40.
I reversed my day. I went home, at breakfast and stayed up or did errands until around noon. Then I went to sleep and woke up around 8:15 or so and ate something and started off my day. On days I had no errands, I would go to the gym and work out for an hour or two.
I only had to change because the job did not pay well. If it did, I would still be doing it. I am a night owl.

Latest resources

Back