• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
Hello everyone,

I’ve been reading the board for a few months but usually hold off on questions until I have a really good one J I’m a college student and CFI hoping to one day fly for the Coast Guard. Just wondering what other career’s military pilots go into after retiring besides flying? Politics? Business?

Also, does being in the Coast Guard give you enough free time to go to school for further education like a Masters or Law degree? Does Uncle Sam pick up the tab? Thanks in advance for your help. Steve

There are a lot of job opportunites with defense contractors for former military officers : management, sales, liaison and the like. I'd say that most former mil pilots that don't continue with aviation head (sts) in that direction. I've also seen a few go into finance or to law school.

Z

Management if you want the bucks (with the resulting high workload). Lots of teachers. Some folks double-dip in federal jobs now that they don't offset your military retirement pay for your federal pay.

How much free time you have on active duty varies quite a bit with service and assignment. A law degree would be hard to do unless your were in a special program to become a JAG (don't know if we have any of those at present, used to). I got a Masters during my Test Pilot tour, but UT gave credit for some of our TPS classes and had an extension campus at Pax River. Not quite the same as a real university experience. Diploma looks nice though.

If an officer uses tuition assistance to get an advanced degree, you incur an additional commitment, though if you're looking to stay for retirement, that probably won't bother you much.

Good luck.

I'll concur with what skiddriver said about government jobs - I've applied for several myself. In addition, many military jobs have been made into either government GS jobs or contractor jobs so its a good time to get into them.

Steve said:
Just wondering what other career’s military pilots go into after retiring besides flying?
When I got out of the Air Force, I took a part-time job playing piano in a whore house. My wife was very pleased that I finally gave up flying fighters and got a respectable job.

Juvat said:
When I got out of the Air Force, I took a part-time job playing piano in a whore house. My wife was very pleased that I finally gave up flying fighters and got a respectable job.

Juvat,

Does your name refer to a specific fighter squadron in the ROK?

My solution to the airline/non-flying post military

I am posting this, primarily, to offer words of encouragement and motivation to those of you who are, obviously due to the existence of this thread, grappling(sp?) with this very issue. Just a little background on me for your own comparison.
I am a former Marine AV-8B Harrier pilot who just separated in July 04. My last duty was NAS Kingsville, TX flight instructor and Safety Officer/Safety School Graduate. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical Science BS degree. Got the 737 type, had an interview with SWA in June, and got the dreaded letter/no offer.
Afterwards, started re-evaluating if airline job was really for me. I have a wife and two kids that I like to see every day. Got out in July and am doing the reserve/sim instructor thing, making average $3500-$4000/month/no benefits but "comfortable". Only started "networking" with buddies who are at defense contractors around the time I got out,(6 months ago) but am now about to get an offer for a $95,000/yr job starting salary WITH FULL BENEFITS, 401K 8% MATCHING, PENSION, TUITION ASSISTANCE, RELOCATION PACKAGE, OPPORTUNITIES FOR ADVANCEMENT/HIGHER PAY! Just got another interview call TODAY at ANOTHER aerospace company with a similar package.
My point.....you have skills/work ethic/operational knowledge that is VALUABLE even out of the cockpit. Don't short change yourself and hang in there. Start networking AT LEAST 6 months prior to separating and you should find something that you will like.
(Side note.) SWA interview, they gave me a seat in one of their jets to get to DFW, and a room at a pretty crappy Holiday Inn. I thought that was pretty cool/generous until I interviewed with the "non-flying defense contractor" corp who got me first class seat, hotel at Courtyard Inn, a rental car for 2 days and $150 per diem. Also, none of those ridiculous TMAAT questions that a majority of us have to practically invent just to come up with an answer to. Lets be honest, we all feel that way deep down inside as proven professionals. (I truly wonder what happened to the days of a CP doing the interview, based on FAR/AIM questions, a sim check, then just the general impression of "is this guy/gal pretty cool or a complete tool?" That really put things into perspective for me. Please don't get me wrong, I think as airlines go, SWA has the BEST culture and is the most stable. My point is that the airline industry, in general, is not all its cracked up to be.
Final point. There ARE other options for us military types. Just think hard on all your qualifications, learn how to write a good resume, NETWORK, and you will succeed.
Good luck all and PM me if you want any details.

Latest resources

Back