• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Career Copilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been sitting in the right seat for only like 2 1/2 -3 months and I'm about to rip my hair out. Why in the world would you want to be a career FO?

"A Man's Got To Know His Limitations"

wings421 said:
Why in the world would you want to be a career FO?
1. It's just a role I'm personally more comfortable with. I flew both seats in the military and believe I made a better CP than CPT.

2. Not a Type-A personality with ambitions to necessarily "reach the pinnacle" of everything I do.

3. Have come to value lower stress levels and consistency of routine over promotion.

4. Money not the most important issue. FO pay combined with investments is enuff.

5. Just want to fly my leg, make every Captain glad he's paired with me, and go home. Not interested in pursuing bigger, better, faster, etc.

Probably moot for me anyway unless this industry turns around soon. I just never saw this topic addressed before here and wondered if there were others that felt the same way.

Bird,

There's a very simple answer to your question...sort of a self-answering thing:

if you fly copilot long enough, you'll WANT to be the captain...

Currently, about a 5.5 to 6 years will get you into the Saab left seat at Mesaba. But with very minimal attrition from captains, there is only about 2 upgrades every couple of months, so it will be going up.

wings421 said:
I've been sitting in the right seat for only like 2 1/2 -3 months and I'm about to rip my hair out. Why in the world would you want to be a career FO?
That is because you are a $hit-hot pilot. It is always a shame to see the ace-of-the-base languishing in the right seat.

If you want to be a career co-pilot, let it be at the company you plan to stay at for your career. No one will want to hire someone who is trying to 'advance' their career if they remained an FO at their current company, had the opportunity to upgrade, and declined. Just my opinion.

MetroSheriff said:
That is because you are a $hit-hot pilot. It is always a shame to see the ace-of-the-base languishing in the right seat.
Metro - Perhaps you mistook what I was saying. I certainly don't feel "$hit-hot" and I am constantly learning, however, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to be the PIC,...... EVER. Being fortunate enough to fly single pilot for quite sometime then having to move into a two pilot cockpit has been an adjustment. I was simply making a statement that I would rather call the shots than not. Your comments were off the mark.

If you've never been in command before, it might be a big deal. However, if you have spent a substantial amount of time as an aircraft commander you could really care less. It boils down to the tradeoff of time off vs money.

nice avatar wings!

Bird,

This would have been a better question to put on the majors board. Many senior first officers at the majors never had any intention(s) to upgrade and they were/are happy and content with the senority, money, QOL, etc. Nothing wrong with this at all and it is a practice that has been going on forever. This has everything to do with personal preference and nothing more. If you are happy and content with being a career first officer then that is your choice. With most upgrade times present day at the regionals (other than the bottom feeders) you may get your wish anyways.:D ( a little sarcasm intended)

I didn't see this quite as evident on the 135 level due to the pay differences between the right and left seat. As soon as I had the flight time, experience, etc, I went right for the upgrade. Not enough money to be a "career" first officer in many of the 135 flight departments. Some of the larger fortune 50 places (91) you could probably swing this and live and be comfortable as a career first officer in the right seat of a GV if that is what you wanted, depends on the company.

Simple answer, no. If you don't have any intentions then you simply don't bid for the upgrade.

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back