Career choice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Abe Abrams

Thanks, Brian. Abe had a reputation that goes with the season, if you catch my drift, ;), although I recall sitting in on an MEI oral he gave my student, and it seemed completely legit to me.

Is Duncan Hastie still around? Now, there went a very professional examiner.

Last edited:
Abe

Abe hasn't been up at DVT for awhile. When ATP's came out to IWA they convinced him to move his operation down south so that he could give them ten checkride slots each week.

Abe's last checkride was July 31st this year. The FAA chose not to renew his designation. The reason he got from the FAA was that he wasn't supposed to rely on his checkride fees for his sole income. However, what really happened was that an ATP student complained about how easy his checkrides were. The FAA tried to send someone out unannounced to observe a checkride, and Abe correctly informed the observer that per the DE manual, observations had to be scheulded in advance with the DE and student. So, the FAA did that, and had someone come out again. The student canceled the checkride, and again the FAA wasn't able to observe him, so basically the FAA got tired of him and refused to renew him. This is the story as Abe tells it.

I don't know who's right, the FAA or Abe, but he was a great guy to send students for a checkride. Oh well. :(

Abe Abrams

Thanks, Wiggums. Once again, I thought the MEI oral Abe gave my student was completely standard.

You wouldn't know about Duncan, by any chance, would you?

Just curious.

New hires

Crabtree said:
What kind of plane do most first pilots start out on? (As far as regionals) Say if you were to go to ComAir, American Eagle etc.

At Eagle, when we start hiring again, you'd be an ATR First Officer in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Good luck.

Re: Abe Abrams

bobbysamd said:
You wouldn't know about Duncan, by any chance, would you?

No, I don't. Is he a DE? If so, I've never used him, but the name sounds familiar.

Duncan Hastie and junior equipment

Thanx, Wiggums. Duncan Hastie is/was a DE at Scottsdale. Great examiner. Extremely professional and fair. I believe he is originally from Scotland.

Crabtree, you'll fly the best aircraft your seniority can hold. More than likely, it'll be junior equipment, although commuters have been known to place new FOs into more senior equipment based on need. As you gain seniority, you can bid larger equipment.

For example, at Mesa eight years ago new FOs were assigned to the BE-1900, though a few got the Brasilia. Another example is Comair, where, eight-ten years ago new FOs started in the Bandits. As they gained seniority, they could move up to the Saabs.

Believe me, you'll be excited and pleased to fly any equipment to which you're assigned. Hope that helps a little.

All newhires at Comair go streight to the jet. No more Brazillia training for nothing, or worrying about being jr manned to Brazillia captain. There are a few props left, but they are going fast, all in Florida, and the guys in them are not about to leave. Good luck to you.

Latest resources

Back