• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cape Air orders 1 Tecnam 2012

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AVGAS is going to dry up in the near future. Why would anyone spend the money developing an airplane that has no fuel?

They are hoping to certify the new engines for 100LL, that 97UL stuff and MoGas.

Even though the mock up has 6 levers on the power quadrant, it will likely be single lever operation (each engine).

I still want to see the numbers.

It would seem that a Cessna Caravan could do the same job for a similar price point.

I can only guess that strategically, Cape Air (and Tecnam) have decided that, despite the PT-6's near-bulletproof reputation, a single-engine plane is not a viable option (may or may not be a valid opinion).

I can only guess that strategically, Cape Air (and Tecnam) have decided that, despite the PT-6's near-bulletproof reputation, a single-engine plane is not a viable option (may or may not be a valid opinion).

Single-engine aircraft are an excellent option if operating costs are a concern. If operating costs are not an option then look around the airline/aviation industry for the lastest financial disasters splashing across the morning business pages. I need a bottle of pepto about now!

Single-engine aircraft are an excellent option if operating costs are a concern. If operating costs are not an option then look around the airline/aviation industry for the lastest financial disasters splashing across the morning business pages. I need a bottle of pepto about now!

I don't have all the numbers but operating costs of a single PT-6 vs. two Lycomings, the 2 piston engines are probably far cheaper.

The Caravan PT-6 has a TBO of only around 3500 hours with a hot-section before that. Cape Air has extended the TBO of the TSIO-520VB's in the C402 out to nearly 3000 hours. A brand new engine is only around $40k vs. roughly $250k for a Pt-6 overhaul and probably at least $50k at the hot.

Then there's fuel... AvGas is more expensive then Jet-A but in theory the Tecnam will burn MoGas. Anyway, the fuel burn on the piston engines is much lower. Roughly the numbers for taxi/climb/cruise fuel flow for the Tecnam would be 4/60/30 gph, for the Caravan, 15/80/55. That's a big difference, particularly when you're going short distances.

I have about 270 hours in the new Tecnam P2006T and it is an awesome aircraft. 145KIAS all day long at an average of 5gph per side. I flew it non-stop from DTO-CEW in 4.7. Tecnam does it right and the airplanes are built with the pilots in mind. Very comfortable aircraft to be in for long rides.

Latest resources

Back