Cancer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wudalmstfly4fre

In my first year of college I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease went through the chemo and have been clean for almost five years. When I went to renew my medical I was defered and six months later got it back with the restriction NOT VALID FOR ANY CLASS 12 MONTHS AFTER THE DATE OF ISSUANCE. I was just wondering if this is going to red flag me when I start applying to the airlines.

I too have that restriction on my medical and it seems to not have had an effect on my ability to work. I currently work for a Part 135 cargo company and they could care less, so long as I have one. I have also interviewed with two regionals in the past, and no body brought that up. I, however, did bring it up, just to quell any unspoken confusion about it in the interviews. I would not mention that limitation on your resume however. IMHO it is not a company's business to know that info about your medical until you are on the property in an interview.

Like you, I too was diagnosed with Hodgkins and have been clean for 12 years. Recomendation......keep all your paperwork from your doctors! I know that you already have if you've gotten your medical back. I was lucky enough to not have lost mine during the treatment period. This was back when Mr. Davis was at the helm in OK city. I personally sat in on 2 conference calls between him and my Oncologist discussing my treatment and medical status.

Have you gotten any feedback as to when the restriction may be removed? I would say that if you're asked about it, be completely honest. The subject was discussed during 2 interviews I had not 2 years after completing my treatment and I was still offered class dates. For other reasons, I declined both offers.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Wow.... amazing stories.

In my first year of college I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease went through the chemo and have been clean for almost five years. When I went to renew my medical I was defered and six months later got it back with the restriction NOT VALID FOR ANY CLASS 12 MONTHS AFTER THE DATE OF ISSUANCE. I was just wondering if this is going to red flag me when I start applying to the airlines.

I believe the 12 months restriction is standard practice to keep checking your condition for relapse.

There is a pilot at AirTran (great guy) who had the same disease and had to stop flying while getting chemo and other treatment. It took him about a year or so but he’s back now and he’s a captain.

I see no reason why this would “red flag” you with the airlines as NONE of them will know anything about it! Why? Because it would be illegal of them to ask or to check with he FAA.

All they can check is if you can hold a first class medical, that’s all! Don’t sweat it, when it’s time to apply with the airlines, you’ll do just fine!

Latest resources

Back