Can a Pilot Monitoring Log Instrument Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

the135pilot

I fly a PC-12 in a charter company 135 , we have PIC and SIC . Can a Pilot Monitoring ( PM ) (SIC) log the instrument time while he is only monitoring ?

Only if an SIC is required under 135.
Yes , it’s requiered , But my question is more like , if the pilot flying ( PIC ) flies 2 hrs of Actual instrument can de SIC ( pilot monitoring ) log the same 2 hrs ?

Some ppl say not because he’s not the pilot flying only monitoring , now if the SIC is the pilot flying yes he can log his own time .

I'd be interested to see that letter. I've tried to locate issues in that venue but failed. Do you have a link to it ?

the135pilot didn't offer enough detail to indicate whether his operation "requires" a F/O.

I'm not much of a lawyer. :unsure:

I'd be interested to see that letter. I've tried to locate issues in that venue but failed. Do you have a link to it ?

the135pilot didn't offer enough detail to indicate whether his operation "requires" a F/O.

I'm not much of a lawyer. :unsure:
Sorry, I had it backwards. I forgot that the non-flying SIC cannot log the approach (although a CFI giving instruction can). The letter is the 1999 Carpenter letter.

mlf,

Thanks for the letter. So much to know...so little time. :)

mlf,

Thanks for the letter. So much to know...so little time. :)
Notice that the letter also says that while the non flying required SIC can't log the approach, they can log the instrument time. Semantic differences between, "operating," "performing," and "manipulating."

mlf,

In looking a the Carpenter letter, I assume it refers to Part 121 ops.

Where it mentions maintaining instrument currency, I don't recall ever keeping track of/documenting that the way we had to for landings, for example. I'm sure the company would've had us submitting some kind of form if it had been required.

I have almost no Part 91 operating experience so was not exposed to having to keep track of instrument currency. Should I have been keeping track when I shot an approach in actual IMC under Part 121 ?

Too late now but just curious.

Latest resources

Back