callsign "Reach"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks UM - I didn't know that.

Tony - Cool. Prolly just Guard/Res units flying them now. And there can't be too many of them left, I wouldn't think.

FN - You crack me up dude.

Yup, all the active duty 141s are gone now - still some used by the guard/reserve. I believe March ARB has gotten rid of all theirs already, or maybe has just a couple left. They'll be getting C-17s soon (along with about 5 or 6 other bases in the coming years). There's a reason you've been hearing "reach" a lot - we're busy as sh!t !!

Reach call sign

Yup:

Before "Reach" it was "Mack" which stands for MAC...Mobility Air Command. Kind of like SAC or TAC (Strategic Air Command or Tactical Air Command). I've used the call sign while running guns into Kuwait and Iraq during the Gulf war and the Iraqi Invasion. Like the other guys said, you're flying for AMC or CRAF. We've carried Humvees, missiles, and butt wipes into the Middle East and the Pacific. It can be C-5s, C-130s, C-141s, C-17s or any other commercial part 121 carrier flying for the military.

WC-130s ...

Guys,

Are the WC-130s operated by a military branch or by NOAA ??

TransMach

Hello,

In speaking with a buddy of mine that is a C-5 FE. He tells me that any airlift mission that is tasked by Military Transportation Command (Unified Command HQ'd at Scott AFB...AMC commander wears two hats) will use the "Reach" callsign.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Big Duke Six said:
"Reach" is the callsign for all Air Mobility Command airlifters, as far as I know. C-5's, C-17's and C-141's all use it. Anybody seen any 141's lately?

Saw one the other day. Left a nice smoke trail as it took off for the Far East.

And yes, it's just all the AMC birds, not a specific unit that uses "reach".

141s

Big Duke Six said:
"Reach" is the callsign for all Air Mobility Command airlifters, as far as I know. C-5's, C-17's and C-141's all use it. Anybody seen any 141's lately?
Yes. I was recently in Christchurch New Zealand, where the USANG uses them to support operations at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. They have skis on 'em. I think this alters the AC designation to LC141.

AcroChik said:
Yes. I was recently in Christchurch New Zealand, where the USANG uses them to support operations at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. They have skis on 'em. I think this alters the AC designation to LC141.

Did you ever get inverted in Christchurch? :)

(Yes, I read the first post . . . ;) )

Latest resources

Back