• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Recall Bid - Any Bets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just talked with my union friend and said bid coming out next week with recalls and open positions for hiring. Said 787 delays won't affect it because we're getting the GenX GE engines, not RR. We'll see........

Can you ask him if those recalls will receive phone calls for class prior to the merger being complete with a new combined seniority list?

Can you ask him if those recalls will receive phone calls for class prior to the merger being complete with a new combined seniority list?

I don't think he knows. What I like about my source is if he doesn't know, he says so. Gotta respect that. But he did say it'll be out next week. At least it's a start in the right direction.

The TA states that if either pilot intends to hire "new" pilots, it will first offer the positions to the other airline in seniority order. New implies that all furloughed pilots were given the option to accept before the offer was extended to fill "new hire" slots.

There is another section that says continental and united will keep their operations separate until the joint certificate is received, stating that neither airline will interchange pilots between their operations.

This language seems to protect all current CAL furloughs from getting recalled based on the new seniority list if the recall came after the list was arbitrated.

The TA states that if either pilot intends to hire "new" pilots, it will first offer the positions to the other airline in seniority order. New implies that all furloughed pilots were given the option to accept before the offer was extended to fill "new hire" slots.

There is another section that says continental and united will keep their operations separate until the joint certificate is received, stating that neither airline will interchange pilots between their operations.

This language seems to protect all current CAL furloughs from getting recalled based on the new seniority list if the recall came after the list was arbitrated.

What if the joint certificate is received prior to anyone receiving phone calls for class dates? IF Management wants this joint contract done by oct, then the merged seniority list can't be to far behind, why couldn't they close this merger with a new certificate by next spring? I am not an expert but the only thing left would be the government, which I haven't heard many arguments saying they would stop the merger. Once the merger is complete my guess is that they would recall based on the new merged seniority list, not CAL first UAL next. The only reason I bring this up this crazy idea that they might not call anybody until next summer for recall classes is that they haven't called anybody from the last recall. Again i am not an expert but if the joint certificate is received prior to a person starting class it sounds like one might be screwed.

The joint certificate (FAA approval) will not be completed until the end of 2011. Company time line as published. CAL Recalls, and UAL furloughees will be filling vacancies by then.

The joint certificate (FAA approval) will not be completed until the end of 2011. Company time line as published. CAL Recalls, and UAL furloughees will be filling vacancies by then.

Thank you, that's all i needed to hear. I didn't know that.

and that is probably the quickest it can be done. i can only imagine the paperwork involved. they have to have to rewrite the whole book, training, maint, SOP, etc.

just heard 787 delayed until 1st qtr of 2011, we're screwed.

recalls for CAL guys wont happen until after the merge...

that's my bet, we'll see Wednesday.

Latest resources

Back