• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL LAX Base Rumor, AGAIN!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
airline mergers are a think of the past in my opinion, that is why i believe that we will not merge with United as long as the pilots and the company can come to an agreement on the joint venture that benefits BOTH sides. there is a reason that alliances have been in the media so much the past few months. route structure is what the customer wants - if someone can buy a CAL ticket that involves a CAL and UAL flight, they don't care as long as they can get where they want to go. the alliance that can take people the most places will be the most successful. mergers are no longer necessary to do that, and I think that is the reason that our management team opted out of the merger with UAL - they realized that they didn't have to. at least that is what i am hoping!
I don't think mergers have anything to do with logic. Lawyers make money on divorces, not marriages; they make money on chaos, not harmony. When things are too settled, look for the financiers to mash a couple of companies together saying it is necessary for synergies, stockholder value, the good of the country, whatever. Their job becomes faux necessary which means they get more money. "What a mess this is. You need someone like me to clean it up." "But you created the mess!" "Well, then, who better than me to know how to clean it up? And it will cost you extra."

These people know one thing--where the money is and how to get it. If they see UAL as a lost concern and CAL having money, why not merge them to squeeze the cash out of CAL, dump the cash into their bonuses, then say "oh well, we certainly tried to save these companies. I guess BK is the only option now. Taxpayers, you take it." Thousands of lives destroyed, two companies gutted, so a few dozen people get another $50M each.

Last edited:
Heard a similar rumor today with the addition that the CPOs have been told to start picking people to conduct pilot interviews in the fall.:nuts:

I realize the word rumor is involved.... but were you kidding you heard this? (understanding its still rumor)

Last edited:
Heard a similar rumor today with the addition that the CPOs have been told to start picking people to conduct pilot interviews in the fall.:nuts:

Makes sense since within Flight Ops at CAL the only place with adequate staffing is at the management level. Although to be fair 777 chiefs have been pressed into flying the occasional 737 turn when 'extraordinary circumstances' occur (ie no d@mn 73 guys took the JM call!!!)...

Heard from a friend......

Bid in April released......LA base opening and recalls.

Believe it when you see it, but this is from a buddy I played golf with today with friends in the training department.
I heard they were going to let CLE fly it through the summer to see if it is profitable. If it is, then they may look at opening a base. If not, then they retreat from the market and everything goes back to normal. Cheaper than setting up a base and then having to close it down again, with a large expense being moves paid by the company when a base closes. Cheaper to pay a load of DH to see if it works out.

I don't think mergers have anything to do with logic. Lawyers make money on divorces, not marriages; they make money on chaos, not harmony. When things are too settled, look for the financiers to mash a couple of companies together saying it is necessary for synergies, stockholder value, the good of the country, whatever. Their job becomes faux necessary which means they get more money. "What a mess this is. You need someone like me to clean it up." "But you created the mess!" "Well, then, who better than me to know how to clean it up? And it will cost you extra."

These people know one thing--where the money is and how to get it. If they see UAL as a lost concern and CAL having money, why not merge them to squeeze the cash out of CAL, dump the cash into their bonuses, then say "oh well, we certainly tried to save these companies. I guess BK is the only option now. Taxpayers, you take it." Thousands of lives destroyed, two companies gutted, so a few dozen people get another $50M each.

That is just the American way. Sad, but true.

I realize the word rumor is involved.... but were you kidding you heard this? (understanding its still rumor)

Negative on the kidding.

Heard it from two people. One who supposedly heard it directly from a EWR ACP and another who supposedly heard it from an admin person in pilot hiring.

But you're correct. It is still just a rumor at this juncture.

I had a chief pilot once tell me to my face "don't worry, there wont be any furlough..." that was straight from the horses mouth, no rumor.

Latest resources

Back