• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Class Breakdown JUN06-SEP06

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My comment regarding the CitationShares guy taking a gamble was about him rolling the dice to some extent by leaving CS to go to CAL.

That makes sense. Good luck to all of you guys at CAL. Just out of curiosity, how long is the predicted upgrade time for someone that getting hired there today?

Are some new-hires still going to the 756 and if so, what's that like schedule wise for the first year? Is reserve on that equipment abusive, or not too bad?? Thanks in advance.

Also anyone who would like to do the fractional thing instead of 121 has never done the airline gig.
At NetJets, we have a lot of major airline furloughees. Now that the recall notices are coming, the vast majority are NOT going back.

Not going back yet. I think every furloughee who has a job will bypass recall to the max extend allowed before they make their final decision. Why go back right away and be junior sitting reserve in a crash pad. You can wait a few years and go back to better senority. They might also like where they are and just stay there.

The upgrade time for someone hired today would probably be anywhere from 3-5 years given no major changes at the airline or industry. The good thing as that you can stay in the right seat and move around the fleet up to the 757/767 and 777 and still make six figures with more days off than taking the first upgrade to go back to reserve. Guys flying on 5th year pay on the widebodies can hold lines in EWR and make well over 100k. Quality of life is pretty good but hope it gets better in 2008.

I assure you that the set of skills used at a fractional are at least 3 times what any 121 pilot has to use. For example; fractional pilots fly under part 91, part 91k and part 135. many times all in the same day. No slam against 121 guys but fractional flying is far more demanding in almost every way.

I guess if you are going to fly a G4 or a Hawker you need to get that experience. However, at a 121 operation you need to be able to fly from the right seat. What?? many 135 operators only let a pilot fly from the left seat, also, how many items do your flows have, what? flows?

The bottom line is, a 121 pilot has a much much easier transition to a different airline than a 135 or a military pilot. Not picking on anybody, that's just the thruth. I personally have gone through 6 training events at 121 carriers, and the HARDEST one by far it was my first initial training event.
I don't mean we should only hire 121 pilots at CAL, I truly believe that diversity is great, however, between a 121 RJ captain and a 135 Hawker XP Captain I'll put my money on the RJ cap.

Just had a sit down with a CP in EWR and they will hire 50 additional bringing the total to over 500. Also, the 10/31/06 class had 6 737, 8 756, and 2 777 slots in it.

Maybe so, however they were pretty quick to furlough after 9-11.

The two airlines that were quickest to furlough were the two that were able to avoid bankruptcy -- AAL and CAL.

Kinda like applying a torniquet to a wound -- the faster you stop the bleeding.....

It wasn't a popular decision and it sucked for those that directly lossed their jobs, etc. but it was a good decision. BTW, everyone is back now + about 700 on the way.

Latest resources

Back