Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not likely

Maverick,

I fly the C-40B and we have a C-37 in our unit at Hickam HI. One of the pre-requisites is to have 1500 hours and most are already IPs in a MWS. It is possible as a second assignment, we have some guys like that in our unit, but not first. You would want one because flying 1.2 hrs three times a day can get a little repetititve, and flying the world over doesn't.

Re: Not likely

C40_Pilot said:
You would want one because flying 1.2 hrs three times a day can get a little repetititve, and flying the world over doesn't.

Actually, it's 1.12 hrs once or twice a day (I'm a reservist) :D

My initial post about why you would want one out of SUPT is the same reason students wanting to be FAIP'd or wanting a C-21 rubs me the wrong way (call me ol' school).

Your reason for wanting to be a military pilot should be to fly and FIGHT. I would suggest you grab a fighter/bomber/tanker/airlift jet and "man your post". Then, take a break and go to you support jet or trainer.

One man's opinion.

Right on

Driver,

I couldn't agree more. I spent 8 years on the line flying C-17s into Bosnia, Albania and all over Europe and the Pacific. I too agree the best thing an SUPT stud can do is go right to a major weapon system and go fight the fight. It was time for me to do something else and I came to Hickam. But flying the line and going to war is what military flying is all about, and boy do I miss flying the talon, solo, with a wingman--good times.

All depends...

If you want to fly something like a C-40 or one of those VIP jets, I suggest a C-21 or a C-9. Here's my .02 for your path to a C-40 or any of the 89th jets: Pick an OSA (C-21 or C-9) out of UPT, upgrade quickly to IP, and if possible to EP in your OSA aircraft. When you go for your follow-on MWS training, you'll go through the aircraft commander course and upgrade to aircraft commnader in about a year. Work hard and upgrade to IP/EP as soon as you can. Then, you can apply to the 89th, assuming you haven't changed your mind by then.
I say this because alot of the guys/gals who came straight to the C-5 out of UPT ended getting an AETC assignment after their first tour (which lasts about 3 years). Most of them had just upgraded to aircraft commander or were still copilots when they got jammed with an AETC assignment. This is what I was. OSA to an MWS is almost a sure thing that you'll make IP in the MWS.
No offense to the o'l school folks, but you will get your flying and "fighting" in time. There are always choices of choosing pain, a little pain, and no pain. Good luck!

I appreciate all the replys but I never said I wanted to get a C-37. I'll be happy with whatever they want to give me, but I really want the F15C. I just didn't know if they would put a new guy in an executive jet like that.

thanks again
nick

Latest resources

Back