• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Buying 135 SIC Flight Time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you think I haven't faxed a cover letter and resume to everyone you see posting an ad on the internet or in trade-a-plane, or in Air Jobs Digest--I have.

Since I graduate in just under two weeks now, I am moving home to be in a place I enjoy, and to do some work in Youth Ministry again. I'll be volunteering to do it, and I'll do the same work as I would if I were paid, but at least I'll be around people I care about and they'll give me a place to live and food to eat. But I'm not signing a committment (at least not this spring), just in case a flying job comes up.

Of course I'll visit each and every airport in the area when I get back. But we're talking about a pretty sparsely populated part of the country, with very little disposable income. Airports are few and far between, there are only a dozen in the region...

And I have gone back and talked to the new Chief CFI at my old stomping grounds. But he's got three people that worked for him that all were furloughed by a regional and he sure seemed to feel like he'd give them a job over me. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Pipeline patrol... I've thought about that. In fact, what could be better than flying a Citabria along all day... not much. And I've read of such operators, and I've seen the occasional JetRanger fly along a power line, but I have never seen one of these operations. You bet I've looked for them, but I honestly haven't found any. If I find any, of course I will be dropping in...

I sent out four cover letters and resumes today, and I've got twelve ready to go tomorrow. It's not that I'm not putting myself out there...

I am very fortunate, I've been a lot of places and seen a lot of things in my life, and I'm yet young. But that doesn't mean I don't want to do more, much more, and in two weeks, I become "Dan the Jobless Guy."

Dan

Dan,
I am going to have to agree with you on this point. It is virtually impossible to find contact info for pipeline patrol, etc. Those small operators don't have internet sites. I would take a job doing that in a heartbeat right now. Unfortunately the only stuff I can find is part time skydiving ops. Many of the places I have talked to didn't want me due to my furlough status though. I can't blame them as I would have to leave or resign my seniority at AWAC (and I'm not going to give that up). Check into the drop zones in your area. Even in Wisconsin here those crazy skydivers jump year round. I am at the drop zone every Saturday and Sunday (no jumping during the week at most cold weather drop zones). Flying skydivers is actually pretty fun. Lots of unique personalities. Good luck.
Steve
PS. search for "Skydiving" on any search engine and you will be delivered to the USPA (United States Parachute Association). They have a list of all USPA approved drop zones in the U.S.

jobs

dan, all I can say is that if you give up someone else will gladly take that job from you. First off if you really want a flying job move to a city were there is a lot of flying. Sounds pretty simple huh. Ex. atlanta, dallas, pheonix just to name a few. Then go to the local flight school and get an advanced rating,Ex CFII or mei or something this will get your foot in the door with the chief pilot. Then once you have that job stick with it through good times and bad. Something will come of it, you will meet the right people. There are CFI jobs out there right now, the flight school I work at in Memphis hires about one new CFI a week b/c of the lazy CFI's that just don't show up and hang around to take the calls and the business. Now no more negative talk get out there and make some money as a pilot it is a great feeeling.

Dan,

Nobody is going to "give" you a job. If you move to a sparsely populated area of the country, you will have a tougher time finding a job then if you move to Dallas or Los Angeles. Its the cold reality. How bad do you want it? Bad enough to pack up and move to an unfamiliar city? That might be the first good step.

Faxing cover letters and resumes isn't going to get you anywhere in this market. Face time my friend, face time. You seem to like to reaffirm things to yourself. Maybe I misread your initial post but it certainly seems that way.

If you want to get a flying job, you're going to have to do some legwork beyond the old "fax" method. Seems like you have a good head on your shoulders but make sure you use it. You're going to have to make some sacrifices if you really want it bad enough. Buckle down...and be prepared for the long haul. There are plenty of CFI jobs out there. Most furloughed guys aren't going for those. The last thing they want to do is be a CFI again. They have a job...they just need to make money till they get recalled. Most likely bartending. So get out there and find a job...and keep us updated on your progress.

-Neal

PS - How bad do you want it?

Dan CFI/CFII said:
If you think I haven't faxed a cover letter and resume to everyone you see posting an ad on the internet or in trade-a-plane, or in Air Jobs Digest--I have.

Faxing resumes to numbers in Trade-a-Plane is pretty much a waste of time. All those employers are going to have a huge stack of resumes by the end of the first day the ad is published. Every job I've ever gotten has been because I either knew someone who was in a position to help me out, or I already had a foot in the door. Developing a network that can help you out is key. Also, if you really want an aviation job you're going to have to move to somewhere like Florida or Arizona where there is a greater concentration of flight schools.

I agree with the faxing to FBO's... I faxed to every FBO at airports (even if they were not actively hiring), I did get hired, not once but several times. It did work for me and I actually had a choice of employers.

Another thing to look at is the FBO's that are affiliated with schools. Whether they be community colleges, or High Schools or other "private" schools. In NY, there are several high school programs that allow students to work towards a private. These schools contract out to a FBO, all the FBO's I knew who had these contracts always were looking for instructors. It is guaranteed business during the "tough times" (winter) and some of the students continue through summer break. I also worked for a college program which had a regular client base and a guaranteed base every semester.

On the regional pilots not taking CFI jobs... Maybe those who are making more on unemployment, but I know several who went back to CFI as they either did not have enough time with the company to be eligible or (and a few did this) they did the CFI off the books for the extra cash. Sorry, the PC version is "contractor" not off the books...

Flight Crews International

I agree, don't waste your time with Trade-A-Plane or Air Jobs Digest. However, you don't always have to know someone to land a job. I would see ads in magazines from schools who were soliciting students and apply to them. That's how I heard about Mesa's school and I eventually got a job there. I read in some magazine that FSI trained Swissair pilots in Vero, so I sent the Chief Instructor a cover letter and resume, followed up, and eventually got hired. I didn't know a soul at Mesa. For FSI, I knew an instructor where I was who trained there. If you target places for which you are reasonably qualified and follow up diligently, you'll come up with something.

Check out FlightCrews International, www.fcilax.com. Captain Mac is a super guy and his organization is a great source of job information. He caters primarily to airline and contract crews around the world, but his newsletter also has leads from time to time for instructors and low-time pilots. I found an instructing job through FCI. Membership might be $150+ per year now, but is tax-deductable and will pay for itself with a job. If you ever get to LAX and tell Captain Mac you're in town, if he's also in town he'll spend time with you. I recommend FCI highly.

Hope that helps.

As a paying passenger I would not want to fly on a flight flown by someone who was paying to be the copilot! If I learned at the last minute that I was boarding such a flight, I would run like the wind and get the heck off that plane. Frankly I think such programs should be illegal.

If you really want to pay for flight time, buy yourself your own airplane and share expenses with friends. It's fun, it's legal, and you can always enjoy flying your own aircraft even long after you've reached the dream job. Just don't pay for flight time when paying passengers are involved!

I figured as much about ads in Trade a plane and such, but if I don't give them something, then I've got No CHANCE of anything...

Yeah, the truck will do the driving and the feet will be doing the walking in just under two weeks now, and we'll see what happens. And once I get home, I'll be taking trips to knock on doors, but I'm not holding my breath--I was in Arizona not three weeks ago.

Just because I will be in a rural area doesn't mean I am not willing to move to work. In fact, I'd love to be able to call a new place home for a couple of years, but I'm not about to move just because there exists a dearth of flight schools in the area. There's no reason for me to take someone else's job in some other business (be it flipping burgers at Mickey Dees), just waiting for a flying job to come up. There are many who have it worse than I and who would be happy to have those jobs. I know people think you need to work for yourself, but taking a job with the intention of leaving as soon as what you want to do comes up is just plain selfish, and I won't play that game.

Yeah, time to let the truck do the driving, I like seeing new places, but I'm only able to visit so many places before the money really runs out, and I'm a bit apprehensive about that. Who wouldn't be?

I really appreciate the well meaning advice, but a real end to my options is fast approaching. This patience stuff isn't particularly fun, it's mostly quiet.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm back to sounding needy and whiny on the internet :)

Dan

Trade-A-Plane and Air Jobs Digest

I appreciate your point. Nothing wrong with responding to these ads, but don't get your hopes up.

Once again, I'd suggest a more focused job search. Put some gas in the truck and appear in person with your materials. Chances are you'll get an audience with who runs the place. It'll help if a face can be put to the resume. Also, consider taking a nonflying job in one of these places. Once you have your foot in the door and the aviation department types meet you and get to know you, your chances will improve. In any event, you can put on your resume that you've worked for an AVIATION employer.

Good luck with your job search.

Latest resources

Back