Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blueridge71

Outlasted two companies
Does anybody have a rule of thumb on whether to buy fuel or pay the fee?

I remember from economics there was a "make or buy" equation. It seems like there could be some similar calculation for whether to buy fuel.

I remember from economics there was a "make or buy" equation. It seems like there could be some similar calculation for whether to buy fuel.

You neglected to mention whether Atlantic Bucks were part of the equation! (Or even Signature's lame-azz Tailwins points)...

Just take the difference between price at your departure and arrival FBO, multiply that difference by the number of gallons to waive fee. If that gets you a number that's bigger than the fee, pay the fee. If that number is smaller than the fee, buy the gas.

No rule of thumb that I know of...

The FBO needs to collect a fee or sell product to keep its doors open. And yes we are all held to keep our budget as low as possible. That is why we try to use fuel discount cards ie CAA when ever possible.
For example most FBO's are now charging $2-300 facility /security fee if no fuel is purchased. The fee s waved if we purchase 150 gal @$6/gal retail = 900. With caa we normaly get $1 off -$150 and waived fee -$200 = -$350
So for $550/150gal=$3.66/ gal.
We all need to look at what is going on in our corporate flying industry. Lets support the local independent fbo or we will have 2 large chains controlling the landscape and price control is gauranteed

Latest resources

Back