Broken Bone

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hdpilot1

Has anyone went out on medical for a broken bone? I just had my first class medical and should be healed by jan so I was curious if my AME needs to sign me off again or can my regular doctor clear me to fly? I also wrote this same questionairre to the FAA surgeons office but they havent responded. Maybe I shouldnt have contacted them about it. Any advice?

Although I'm not quite sure which broken bone you are talking about. I don't know why the FAA/AME would be involved with a broken bone, maybe a skull fracture.

To answer your question, yes I have been out on medical LOA twice for broken bones, ribs & foot. You will have to report the doctor visit on the medical application during your next FAA physical. There was no reason to involve the FAA/AME in either of my cases.

I broke my ankle last year. I went to the AME after I got my cast off but I needed a new medical anyways. I never heard anything back from the FAA about it.

Hi!

I broke my arm, and had 2 surgeries, pins in and out. Following that, I renewed me medical. I listed the surgeries on the medical histories, the doc checked my arm, and said "Looks good". He signed my medical, and away I went.

cliff
GRB

It might be necessary to involve the FAA/AME if as a result of the broken bone you end up with a permanent disability (i.e. loss of strength or mobility) that some how affects your ability to do your job.

Otherwise I hope that you heal quickly and can get back to work.

If you're talking about a simple break with no changes in your ability to hold an airman medical certificate, then you do not need any recertification. This isn't any different than getting a cold or fever, or any other condition that changes you from being medically fit and able to perform your duties as a crewmember.

If you can no longer meet the requirements to hold a medical certificate, or encounter a condition which changes your fitness to hold that certificate, then you'll need additional review. If you get a cold and have blocked sinuses for several days, once your sinuses have returned to normal, you may continue to operate under your medical certificate. You have not developed a condition that would prevent you from holding or obtaining a medical certificate. You have merely experienced a temporary condition which prevents the normal execution of your duties, and has made you temporarily unfit to fly.

Likewise, breaking a bone doesn't constitute a health disaster in most cases. The specific nature of what has been broken, however, will determine what needs to be done in your specific case, as well as how it fits into your overall health, and the particular requirements you may have in your flying.

Over the years I've broken all my fingers, some toes, my nose a couple of times, had vertebrae knocked out of position on several occasions, broken knees, elbows, ankle, ribs, foot, etc. In a number of cases, these injuries did not impact my ability to fly or perform my cockpit duties, and I continued to fly with them. In other cases, I was unable, and refrained from flying duties until my health returned to it's former condition.

In one case, I experienced a parachute failure and ended up in intensive care. When I got out of intensive care, my doctor was also my AME, and he determined exactly what I needed to return to duty. Recovery took nearly a year, but during that time I was able to return to flying with an unrestricted medical. A decade and a half later, my ankle occasionally still hurts considerably, and once in a while my neck reminds me that it doesn't care to turn in a particular direction...those things will likely never go away, but they're known quantities, and haven't impacted my ability to do my job or hold a medical certificate.

If in doubt, discuss your condition with your AME.

If you're talking about a doctor's release for your company, then you need to talk to your company and the doctor, and come to an understanding on exactly what will be required for you to satisfy all involved parties.

Has anyone went out on medical for a broken bone? I just had my first class medical and should be healed by jan so I was curious if my AME needs to sign me off again or can my regular doctor clear me to fly? I also wrote this same questionairre to the FAA surgeons office but they havent responded. Maybe I shouldnt have contacted them about it. Any advice?
FWIW, I broke my left leg, just above the ankle, a few years ago. I asked my AME about what it was going to take to be able to return to the cockpit. He checked with the FAA folks in Seattle (?) and all they wanted to know was what was I flying (a Lear 35) and how much rudder pressure would it require in a worse case situation. I called FlightSafety and they got back to me with the number - as I remember it was a little over 200 pounds. All the Feds wanted was a note from my doctor stating that I could put that amount of pressure on my injured leg. They cleared me to return to the cockpit immediatly after receiving the letter. It was absolutely not a big deal and actually made perfect sense.

LS

Hi!

I broke my arm, and had 2 surgeries, pins in and out. Following that, I renewed me medical. I listed the surgeries on the medical histories, the doc checked my arm, and said "Looks good". He signed my medical, and away I went.

cliff
GRB

Same here. Distal radius, left arm. Plate and 7 screws. AME looked at it and said "how does it feel?". I said fine. No further questions.

OFF TOPIC!

Hey Avbug, I just noticed that if your post's were each one foot long, and most are, you have posted over 1 mile.

There has to be some sort of recognition for that.

Carry on.

Latest resources

Back