Bring Back People on furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captainzero1

Has it been discussed at NJA, Flops or CitationAir for the pilots still on property to take a smalll paycut to bring some guys back. A longtime friend of mine was furloughed by NJA and he his having a difficult time in this job market. I don't want to start any issues just wondering if it was ever discussed to help out.

Has it been discussed at NJA, Flops or CitationAir for the pilots still on property to take a smalll paycut to bring some guys back. A longtime friend of mine was furloughed by NJA and he his having a difficult time in this job market. I don't want to start any issues just wondering if it was ever discussed to help out.

At ca they determined it was less about money and more about the right size for the ac they had left. A pay cut has been taken anyway infact twice....although they call it a" raise that's not what was expected" not a pay cut noooooo

no pilot makes enough to be able to afford a pay cut.

now if management took a 1% cut, you'd be amazed how many REAL jobs that could save for people who actually do work.

Why do people still think that pay cuts equal jobs? Jobs are based on how much work there is. If you take a cut, there are still too many bodies. Does not work. Never has, never will.
Helm

No paycuts

NJA did the reduced schedules and other assorted measures to save jobs for about a year, ending about a year ago. It worked for the old CEO, but still cost more than furloughing so the new guy got out the ax. It won't be happening again any time soon at NJA. Unfortunately it will be a long furlough, even for the most senior of those furloughed. I wish your friend luck finding something else.

Why can pilots not figure out that concessions don't save jobs???:confused:

Here's how concessions work:

Management: "We can't afford to keep all these people. We need to furlough 100 pilots or shut the doors."

Pilots: "We are afraid of you and losing our pitiful income. We will vote in a pay cut."

Management: "Thank you. You have saved the company."

Bean counter: "Hey Boss Man. I know how to save some money. We currently are staffed at 2000 pilots. We only need 1850."

Management: "SWEET! We'll furlough 150 pilots and save big bucks!"

Board of Directors: "Mr. CEO, you have done incredible work by lowering overhead by cutting salaries and reducing the workforce. Way to trim the fat!!! Here's a $500,000 Christmas bonus. Great work!"

Furloughed guy: "If I hadn't voted yes on those concessions I'd have $xxxx more money in the checkbook. I would have been furloughed anyway. WHY DID I DO THAT??? I'm such a fool."

Management: "Does that BMW for the summer home come in red?"

Get a clue. Concessions DO NOT SAVE JOBS. The instant you give management ANYTHING, you will NEVER see it back.

Last edited:
Good luck getting the OT prostitutes at Flexjet to take pay cuts.

Half these guys are living paycheck to paycheck.

Pilots and money. So sad.

With due respect and sympathy for your friend, I am certain he should be able to find something in this economy to pay the bills. It might not be flying, but Home Depot, Lowes, CostCo, etc, offer decent managerial track entry level positions. And not just those places, there are plenty of jobs, it just depends on how hard you want to work.

At least he has a seniority number for an industry leading company to go back to. I know a lot of guys who are doing a heck of a lot worse than that!

I believe that there will be hiring at the airlines such that all the furloughed pilots will eventually go to a far far better place.

I mean I think people won't want to come back to the fracs .... Even folks who are junior SICs at fracs today will be putting in apps at the majors... where they can make more money....

That might trigger recalls at the fracs once that happens but once the recalled become current ... they will go to the airlines.

The long rumored pilot shortage may actually be coming because nobody is flight training and you need more hours to hire 121. This is the calm before the storm....

--> Crystal ball off.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back