Brazil Mid-Air Survivor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thread creep alert

Criminal charges due to an aircraft accident, while not common. are not unheard of in the US. But they are not federal charges. The FAR is not criminal in nature so there is no federal criminal statute, only civil sanctions. However the states and localities do in fact have the authority and right to make laws and prosecute the pilot(s) under them if their actions, or results thereof, in that jurisdiction constitute a violation of those laws. That includes manslaughter, reckless endangerment, operating under the influence, etc.

I believe the landmark case was in northern AZ in the early 80's when a flight instructor, who had a reputation as a wild-man, was screwing around during a formation flight and hit the other airplane. He and his student survived, but two of the four people on the other airplane were killed. He was prosecuted and convicted of negligent homicide by the county over which the collision occured and I think he did some time.

So, I don't know about Brazil (Brasil, whatever), but at least in the US, criminal charges would come from the state and/or local authorities. You would get a letter from the FAA about your license suspension in your cell at the county jail.

I attended an aircraft accident investigation "workshop" at a police academy in Virginia several years ago. Here is what I learned: Once the fire is out, the local and state authorities are YOUR WORST ENEMY. They go into "Lenny Briscoe" mode. THEY KNOW you have committed a crime; to them it's just a matter of finding out which one. All their investigative expertise goes into finding out what crime(s) you committed that resulted in you dropping aluminum onto their jurisdiction. For example: There was an hour long presentation by a Commonwealth's Attorney (DA) on how to obtain a search warrant for your blood. The term "hammer the pilot" came up more than once. This is a criminal investigation. They are treating it as such and so should you.

If they are unable to produce evidence you actually committed a violation of local and/or state law they will hand over, with relish, everything they have to the FAA so the FAA can hammer you even if they couldn't.

End of thread creep

Last edited:
How the hell did we go from this tragic accident to Mr. Bushy having the power to turn off the news.(Is this like a magic button that just gets rid of the news or what) By the way I think is a 10 second delay on the life stuff. Another thing that really pi$$es me off (Upfront I will say I don't like Mr. Bushy at all and I'm not one of those guys that drinks the cool-aid either) I don't know what types of freedom you have in BRAZIL but the ones here in the US are about the best I have seen anywhere I have traveled in the world, this is not to say we are perfect or the best or anything like that because our system is not perfect but again is about the best I have seen. And by the way if things are much better in BRAZIL don't let the door hit your A$$ on the way back down south. I hate people who always say how things are better where they came from but then are here in the US taking up our limited space. HAHA. UBA757

Last edited:
Bombinha: literally "little pump" in portguese. Not sure if it has another connotation though..

Guys and Gals,

Let please get the conversation back on track. It seems that the thread is starting to go downhill and lose its original point. If you all want to argue over petty things....use the PM function.

thanks

Wow... this thread has gone downhill fast.

bombinha - you're posts are rambling, nonsensical, and just plain wrong.

First off, Brazil is spelled Brazil in English. Look it up. It is only spelled "Brasil" in Portuguese. Since most of us are using English on this forum, don't go around correcting people for using proper English (something you have obviously not yet mastered).

Second... the distance from Sao Jose dos Campos to Manaus is less than 1500nm. The range of a Legacy is over 3000nm. Yet you seem to present as fact that they were pushing their fuel, and hence refused to descend from FL370 to FL360. This is beyond speculation, it's blatantly idiotic. Furthermore, the service ceiling is FL410 not FL370 as you posted.

Third... Brazil has just over 11,000 total registered aircraft. The US has over 225,000 registered aircraft. The UK has over 17,000 total registered aircraft. I picked those countries at random, and have already shown that your statement that Brazil has the "second largest fleet" is total B.S. I haven't even looked at Australia, Russia, etc. all of which certainly have larger fleets than Brazil.

Fourth and last... you seem to want to educate us all on ICAO rules and yet your profile shows that you hold both an "FAA ATP" and an "ICAO ATP". Surely then you know that an FAA ATP is an ICAO ATP...

Excellent post.....

And for the little pump dude....

I speak 3 different languages and I believe I have mastered english a little better then you. As for the rest of your post.... you freaking lost me after hello....and I couldn't care any less....

Now back to the topic at hand.....

I got my type on the 145 a few years ago and have only a few hundred hours in the darn thing, so I need some guys that are book smart and have a lot more time in the lawn dart.....<grin>.

There is an AD out for the embraer 135/145 that has to be complied with by october 17th that has to do with the transponder going into the standby mode for no reason at all while in flight. Im hoping that my buddy posts the AD on here, but again thats me being lazy and hoping one of you 145 checkairmen type would have this already. The pilots have denied time and time again about having turned the thing off and with the DFDR I don't know how this has not been proven yet. Im thinking corrupt politics has something to do with it.... dunno. This little tid bit might be the thing that gets them home soon. I know the guy that found this out and helped get everything to those guys, eventhough he's a DB, he's still a great friend for doing that. Beers on me DB.

Anyone in the know please chime in would ya?

This AD applies to the Honeywell parts identified in paragraphs (c)(1) and (c)(2) of this AD, approved under Technical Standard Order TSO-C112, installed on

EMBRAER Model EMB-135BJ, -135ER, -135KE, -135KL, and - 135LR airplanes; EMBRAER Model EMB-145, -145ER, -145MR, -145LR, - 145XR, -145MP, and -145EP airplanes;

This AD results from the transponder erroneously going into standby mode if the flightcrew takes longer than five seconds when using the rotary knob of the radio management unit to change the air traffic control code. We are issuing this AD to prevent the transponder of the COM unit from going into standby mode, which could increase the workload on the flightcrew and result in improper functioning of the traffic alert and collision avoidance system.

Just a bystander.

But, go back to the NY Times article. The author obviously wrote it minutes after reaching the ground and giving his newspaper a scoop on something that "just happened".

Now I personally dislike the NY Times and their biased reporting and proclivity to releasing "classified" information.... BUT this guy was kissing the ground, the pilots, the military guys and anyone else he could find for still being alive.

What were his comments about the flight BEFORE the crash? He was sat back relaxing in a leather chair reading and writing. He had visited the flight deck earlier and been shown the FL370 readout.

Now where were these "playing around" maneuvers the Brazilians are talking about? A jet moving from FL320 to FL370 with pilots playing with the transponder off would feel a little bit odd to a passenger riding in the back. If you are going to turn off the transponder and horse around over the jungle, then I would think the passengers would either have been told or they would have felt the "horsing".

Now if the NY Times had a reporter on board, the pilots had been horsing around and this accident occurred.....which do you think is more likely of our vaunted journalist - would he:

1.) hide the fact that the new owners and pilots decided to "do things" with the aircraft moments before the crash?

or

2.) bury the pilots? As in - "I couldn't believe these yahoos....there I was trapped aboard an aircraft as we went through a series of dives and climbs and suddenly - WHAM - we are hit by an airliner".

You know the NY Times wants story #2. There is no way they want to be out-scooped by O globo or some other news outlet.

My vote is propoganda. I feel sorry for the American pilots. The railroad is being built to take them directly to Brazil's version of Siberia - in this case, though, the time stamp on the NY Times author's recollections may be the only bit of clarity in this whole affair. Brazil wants to hang somebody for killing Brazilians and causing shame/embarassment to their ATC or Low-cost airline.

These guys need a good lawyer and a good "handler" to get them out of Brazil ASAP.

From the AD......

Request To Revise Compliance Time Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica S.A. (EMBRAER) requests that we extend the compliance time for the AFM revision from 5 to 30 days. EMBRAER asserts that the loss of the transponder does not pose so great of a hazard to justify such an urgent compliance time. As justification for extending the compliance time, EMBRAER states that some of the affected airplanes might be on international trips, where it may not be possible to return an airplane to a convenient location and accomplish the AFM revision within 5 days after the effective date of this AD.

The compliance date of the AD is October 17, 2006. 11 days from now.

Latest resources

Back