• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Boycott Nwa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But the main reasons for controlled commercial airspace is for the majors. Let's see, ya pays yer fee and ya gets all the services....

C345 - Minneapolis Approach - This is Cessna 12345 - flight of 114 - All Young Eagles flights, 10 west, landing MSP with Juliet.

MSP - Cessna 12345 Flight of 114 - Have you paid your $4.50 each for services?

C345 - That's affirm...we'd also like all your gates and 2 by 2 overhead breaks, and after that we'd all like practice ASR approaches.

MSP - Cessna 345, roger. Cleared for the visual - all runways, after your T&G's climbing right turns and contact the tower...break - Northwest 234 and 345 and 456 and 789 hold as published Nodine right turns, 1000' spacing...break - Northwest 111 and 222 and 333 and 444 - go directly to the penalty box and shut down...it's gonna be a loooong wait.

Yep, we'll all see ya all over MSP and DTW - glad you'll love to have us.

Max takeoff and landing weight of a Piper Warrior is 2440 lbs.
Max takeoff and landing weight of a King Air 200 is 12,500 lbs.

Max takeoff weight for the Boeing 727-100 is 169,500 lbs.
Max landing weight for the Boeing 727-100 is 142,500 lbs.

Please explain to me why NWA wants to charge somebody who flies an aircraft that weights LESS THAN 1/10 of a small narrowbody jet the same landing fee.

Anybody been to ORD or MDW recently? Da Mare's little excavation party at Meigs has caused a big increase in GA at both. I agree with Viper - let the big boys play at MSP, let the little guys go into Flying Cloud, and everybody stays happy. All the savings NWA would get from changing the fee structure would go up in smoke after a few DC-9 go-arounds because Jimbo could fly his family in his V35 into MSP for the same price as the smaller airports, and its WAAAAAY closer to Mall of America.

We don't use NAV CANADA for a reason...

BoilerUP, you gets it!!!!

Y'all really want our students shooting an ILS to 22 at MSP in a 152 watching all the heavies yankin' and bankin' and gettin' spun a few times??? wait, I think I'd pay the landing fee just to see how much Jet A could be wasted!!

V

Let's not forget that $75.00 landing fee for GA aircraft at many of the dual-served airports....
Somebody needs to forward this to Phil Boyer.

I saw this on March 1st on an NWA flight. Faxed it to NBAA and AOPA the next day. Have since been contacted by both and assured they're taking steps to fight this one.

Anderson is factually inaccurate in certain areas. PFCs pay for terminal facility improvements ... my corporate passengers don't use those facilities ... why should they pay for them? I also pay 21.9 cents in FET on each and every gallon of fuel purchased, as do all GA pilots. Anderson also completely leaves out landing fees ... if my King Air lands at MSP, I pay a weight-based landing fee just like Northwest did for the A-319 I rode out there on a couple weeks ago. Let's not forget about ramp fees, parking fees, fuel flowage fees, etc collected by FBOs or airport authorities ... trust me, GA is pulling its weight in the system.

R

So are these frac operators going to ask to use another Airline for repositioning their crews?

NWA has been through a few rounds of cost-cutting measures.

During an investigation of landing fees in MSP, it was discovered that the Metropolitan Airports Comission was inappropriately usuing the funds it collected. The MAC controls MSP & 5 or 6 GA airports in the MSP area. The MAC was USING REVENUE FROM LANDING FEES AT MSP TO SUPPORT OPERATIONS AT THE OTHER AIRPORTS. In other words, NWA was indirectly supporting GA at other airports. Anderson's claim is "why should a passenger flying LAX-MSP-ORD support the operations at an outlying facility they never used?" They shouldn't. The GA airports should be self-sufficient.

Should the MAC charge HIGHER landing fees at the GA airports to reduce the fees NWA pays at MSP? Would that be fair? The fair solution is for the users to pay for what they use....A320s, C-152, whatever.

The call to "Boycott NWA" is quite interesting, & seems extreme. Would buying revenue tickets be off-limits, but riding the Jump Seat be OK?:rolleyes:

First of all this thread topic is Major Airlines, not C-172 pilots.

As a furloughed pilot and current King Air driver I can tell you that I get every service that a Airline gets and pay VERY LITTLE in return.

The 5% tax on 100LL does not go to the aviation trust fund, it is state and local.

On jet fuel we pay a 71/2% tax that is EXCISE tax that does go to the av trust fund. On a recent trip of 3 hours round trip we paid $41 in Aviation taxes. That is a drop in the bucket compared to what the airlines pay. 20.50 in one way taxes for 6 people compared to 3575.00 for an airline flight ($55 per pax X 130 pax / 2 landings).

Believe me that the owner of this King Air likes the scheduling and availibilty of his own airplane and would easily pay a lot more to keep it.

It is time to stop burdening the average passenger with high taxes while letting the ultra rich off the hook with minimum taxes for equal treatment.

Mr. Anderson is not calling for landing fees of 100.00 per C152 landing, but an increase of taxes on corporate aircraft.

It is becoming too cheap to charter these days and those of us who want to return to the airlines ASAP don't want to keep losing out to the fractionals and and private aircraft.

P.S. My job sucks.

Flying the Line said:

Mr. Anderson is not calling for landing fees of 100.00 per C152 landing, but an increase of taxes on corporate aircraft.

It is becoming too cheap to charter these days and those of us who want to return to the airlines ASAP don't want to keep losing out to the fractionals and and private aircraft.

P.S. My job sucks.

You think you're gonna tax them back into your airliners so you can soak them like you once tried to do? Think again. I think the airlines will have to look elsewhere to solve their self-inflicted problems. Begin by offering actual service and convenience, or sane pricing for business travelers, then go from there. You'll never change them back into your captive audience by merely holding a tax-gun to their heads.

Use Europe as an example; user fees for ATC, high handling charges and airport fees, and plenty of large corporations/wealthy individuals. They have relatively few corporate flight departments or private jets due to these excessive tax rates, but those exhorbitant taxes on the "other guy" certainly haven't kept the European airlines from bleeding red.

Coming from someone who wants to be recalled to an airline, your statement about chartering becoming "too cheap" is a little ironic don't you think? And a little ridiculous considering that the price of chartering airplanes hasn't come down. On the other hand, if something has become "too cheap", it's airline tickets.

The airlines have chosen to cater to the flip-flop crowd, not those wearing Brooks Brothers who were the foundation of the income. They're all too busy trying to emulate cattle car SWA's business model. Companies sending high-salary employees around the country can't afford to waste their valuable time airline travel promises when there is a much more efficient alternative, and wealthy individuals pay, and will always pay, to avoid the same hassles and substandard service like the plague.

Sorry your job sucks though.

Latest resources

Back