Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

millhouse21

No longer in the Sand Box
Reading another thread got me interested in this but I have no idea what the FAA thinks. If you actually donate bone marrow are you down for a while? How long?

I was wondering the same thing. I was added to the registry almost two years ago - you never know when someone might need your help. If I am ever called, I'd like to do everything in my power to help save a life, but how would it affect my medical, short and long-term???

They treat it like a blood donation. You will be all set by the time that you can sit in the seat again. I joined the registry about 4 years ago and have been called twice. Both times I was relegated to backup donor because of scheduling conflicts. Have you had the opportunity to view the extraction process video yet?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have not viewed any videos yet, I was just thinking about registering. Is the extraction process that big of a deal? I was under the impression that it was a relatively simple procedure that takes an hour or two.

millhouse21 said:
Thanks for the info. I have not viewed any videos yet, I was just thinking about registering. Is the extraction process that big of a deal? I was under the impression that it was a relatively simple procedure that takes an hour or two.

The extraction process is done under general anaesthetic(?). A fairly large bore needle is inserted into your hip and about a quart of marrow is extracted. You will have to stay in the hospital overnight for observation. They say that there is discomfort for about a week and takes up to three weeks for swelling/bruising to go away. In my opinion, this is small compared to what the recipient has gone through up to this point. Both my parents, a grandparent, 3 uncles and 2 aunts died of cancer so it's only a matter of time before I get it too. I just wanted to help as many people as I could before that happens. Something else to look into is plateletpheresis. It's like giving blood but they only take the white blood cells. You can donate as often as every two days.

Mr.Wu - I've been very fortunate so far and have no major illnesses in my family but I've thought about registering in the past. Especially when I found out that my girlfriend's brother died of leukemia when he was a 7 year old boy (some 14 years ago). It's kind of weird how things get so much more important when it gets close to you.

Anyway, can you give me a link to check about the procedure, etc? How painful is it? Did you really feel very crappy afterwards? What about the procedure itself, were you dizzy while they were sticking in the needle, etc? Has it ever happened they stuck the needle in the wrong place and made someone paralyzed? (I know, I am paranoid). Any feedback would be appreciated.

Is "plateletpheresis" same as plasma donation?

Last edited:
Both times I was the backup donor and was not called. I don't know if there are any resources on the web about the process but I'm sure if you go to your local marrow registry and tell them you are interested in becoming a donor they will show you the videos. I doubt if there has been anybody paralyzed by the procedure as they insert the needle in the hip. This may be an a$$hole way to look at it but if it's a choice between the recipient living and me in a wheelchair, then he's out of luck.

They say that there is discomfort for about a week and takes up to three weeks for swelling/bruising to go away.

Ummm ... I don't want to be the butthead here, because it is a very noble thing to do for someone. But the truth is ... it is a bit more than 'discomfort' kind of experience for most people. I have a friend who donated for his sister who had leukemia, and he was out of an aircraft (he was a production test pilot at a major mfr.) for three weeks. Can be a very painful experience, a kind of internal, deep in the bone pain, that can't be helped by OTC analgesics, and prescription opiates merely knocked the edge off it.

It's a noble thing to do, and certainly worth the pain. But that loverly medical term "some discomfort" definitely doesn't apply here. It is a beeyatch. :(

Latest resources

Back