Boeing Super 80??!!??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JTrain

Was recently jumpseating on an AMR Eagle flight and flipping thru their inflight mag. In the back part where it talked about the airplanes AMR + AE flew, e.g. B737, B767, B777, it also described the MD-80 as the "Boeing Super 80."

As far as I'm concerned, an MD-80 is a McDonnell Douglas MD-80, irregardless of the fact Boeing did buy MD in '96. The only thing Boeing about the plane is that Boeing may be responsible for product upkeep. Pretty much all of AMR's MD-80s were delivered by then; they were McDonnell Douglas MD-80s when they rolled off the assembly line; shouldn't they be listed as McDonnell Douglas MD-80s or MD Super 80s now?!?

Along similar lines, my local town paper, whenever they write about the SwissAir 111 crash, they use the term Boeing MD-11 to describe the plane. Once, they even described the plane as a "Boeing-made" MD-11 (that particular MD-11 was NOT manufactured by Boeing, Boeing just acquired MD). This got me ticked enough to write a letter to the editor on the subject, but they still keep on calling it a Boeing MD-11. We don't call the DC-3 a Boeing DC-3. Heck, MD didn't even try to slap their name on that or many other fine Douglas commercial aircraft; they just updated the name beginning with the Super 80. Am I missing something here? Anybody? Alright - thats my rant for the day...

JTrain

Take a look at the Blue Angels up close....on the turtle back it says,

"Boeing F/A-18"

Chunk

Jtrain,

You're a lucky man if you have nothing better to worry about than what someone calls an aircraft. I guess it's a good thing we still call the Beech 1900 a Beech 1900, and not a Raytheon 1900..

I'm from STL and have friends working at McDonnell....er Boeing. They pretty much still consider themselves McDonnell Douglas employees. It's hard to accept change when you grow up with a product. Heck I even have to call TWA American now! What am I going to be calling Comair in the near future??

To me, it's still the McD F-15, F/A-18, AV-8B....and the airliners.

Jtrain:

I tend to agree it is hard to get used to calling the MD-80 a Boeing MD-80. The rational apparently was that the MD-80, MD-90, and MD-11 were still being produced after the Boeing acquistition in 1997. Since it was technically Boeing making the aircraft they wanted to call it by the manufacturer's name, thus Boeing MD-80, Boeing MD-90, etc.

Boeing management tend to be arrogant that way. At first they didn't know what to call the Long Beach facility. First it was the Douglas Products Division then, when they were thinking about building some 737s in Long Beach, it became the Long Beach Division. It still remains that to this day.

To be technically correct though it is not correct to call a DC-9-80 an MD-80. The MD-88 is the only model of the series that is designated as such. Just look at the data plate at the entrance of the aircraft to check that out. The aircraft was marketed as a DC-9 Super 80 by McDonnell Douglas and eventually the MD-80 moniker just seemed to fit.

There is a very well written book out now called " Douglas Twinjets " by Thomas Belcher. If you are a fan of the DC-9/MD-80/MD-90, as I am, then it is a must read. Great pictures also.

typhoonpilot

When the first 717's came out, I would always say on the radio,"We have the DC-9 insight" It would always get a responce from the crew over the radio.

The place I was flying DC-3's believe it or not, we would get updated with Boeing letter heads.

I think Douglas has more interesting desighns than Boeing does, whats so special about a twinjet, that all look alike.

But as far a sthe F-18 and other Douglas military aircraft, they are all reffered to as Boings, pretty sad I think.

Douglas can be proud I think, look at all the Douglas military products that were produced through the years, they pretty much dominated the field.

And the DC-8, no boing has done anything close to what that airplane has done.

Well, as long as we're talking about screwed-up aircraft names...

Is anyone else aware of the fact that "717" was Boeing's in-house name for the C-135? I've never liked the fact that they stuck that name on what will always be (in my mind) the MD-95...or more properly, I suppose, the DC-9-95.

and the current 717 is actually the 717-200 series because of that
Definitely a departure from the c-135-AKA 717-100
oh well, kick the tires and light the fires 'cause she'll fly fine no matter what you call it

When the first 717's came out, I would always say on the radio,"We have the DC-9 insight" It would always get a responce from the crew over the radio.

You could call it the "Electric Jet", that's what we call it, or the McBoeing.

Not sure what to call it myself. SInce they removed over 350 lbs of cables from the thing, I am not sure it still qualifies as being made by the McDonnell Douglas Cable Company, especially since the windows don't leak, yet. Once the windows start leaking, it'll probably seem a lot more like a "9".

How's it going, D?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back