Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dmspilot00

Independent
I saw this in AvWeb today. Does anyone know anything more about this? I could not find anything on Boeing's website. I even tried using their search engine.

E stands for efficiency in the new Boeing 7E7 as the world's largest aerospace company and soon-to-be second-largest maker of airliners plays catch-up with archrival Airbus. Boeing will go head to head with Airbus's 320 and 330 series with a 200- to 250-passenger, twin-aisle jet that will have a range of up to 9,200 miles. Boeing will start taking orders on the 7E7 in 2004 and hopes to have them in the air by 2008...

http://www.avweb.com/newswire/9_06a/complete/182586-1.html#otf

Is Boeing trying to compete with itself, or are they going to stop making the 767?

I believe that this will be the 767 replacement. That design is over 20 years old now. I know, that's not "old" compared to today's 732s, 727s, DC-9s, etc; but they feel they should produce a new airliner to better compete with Airbus offerings, rather than continuing to stretch and/or modernize the 767 (like was done with the 767-400ER).

Boeing is pursuing the 7E7 instead of the sonic cruiser program that was shelved last year.

Some links:

7E7 Conception

7E7 People

7E7 Statement/Video

It is being designed to fragment the market across the Pacific just as the 767 did across the Atlantic. Prior to the 767 most flights from the US to Europe were done in a 747 to a major hub then a connecting flight to the final destination. Now nearly all those flights across the Atlantic are done point to point in a 767, no more hub and spoke. The "7E7" is intended to do the same across the pacific. Boeing believes the world wants point to point instead of hub and spoke (A380, 747). Boeing proposed two airplanes for this mission; the 7E7 and the sonic cruiser. Todays speeds at substantially less fuel burn or mach .98 at today's fuel burn. The price tag of the sonic cruiser would be higher due to the higher development costs and in todays market the customers told Boeing they preferred more fuel effieciency and a cheaper price tag. So the 787 will be a longer ranger 767 size airplane.

Great...that's exactly what the world needs...another twin engine airliner, that looks exactly the same as all the other airliners on the market.

B7E7?...the "B" stands for Boring...when I saw the computer drawings for the sonic cruiser, I thought maybe "finally" Boeing would make an exciting airplane that actually looks as good as it flys...It figures they would cancel something that doesn't look like a 777...

I agree. Nothing too earth-shattering (externally, anyway) in the new model. I, too, would personally prefer to see a more exciting and radical design like the sonic cruiser.

However, the airlines are the ones who ultimately vote with their orders, and they've made it quite clear to Boeing that they are more interested in a more efficient airliner similar to the current generation, rather than a more expensive, unproven design with a somewhat higher cruise speed (sonic cruiser). Given the financial state of the industry as a whole, I believe this more conservative approach is the right choice.

Latest resources

Back