Bill Cosby sounds fed up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rabid Washcloth said:
Pretty ironic that he's the guy who created Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. If that show isn't a screaming stereotype, then I don't know what is. Mush Mouth...Dumb Donald.....hanging out in a junkyard all day....playing instruments made from garbage.

I remember seeing him at some awards show awhile back and that female black comedian (I think her name isWanda) was using the urban dialect with him and he looked pretty perturbed....like he was above her.

None of those characters were "screaming sterotypes." They were all direct characters from real kids he grew up with, taking a little poetic license, of course. They all spoke in complete sentences and had a touch of southern drawl that many blacks brought north after the second world war.

What Cosby is reacting to, and rightfully so, is the reluctance to take part in the franchise "American Citizen" in today's Black Community, which would mean becoming well educated, working hard, communicating clearly, and living morally.

Step n Fetchit is a black stereotype. Amos and Andy were black stereotypes. Fat Albert is a funny kid.

Wanda, or whatever her name is, is unwittingly helping to hold black people back. Bill is right to be irritated. I am, too.

wms said:
I'm glad there is someone famous from a minority race who is willing to lay it out logically.

Cosby, while i applaud this stance, is not the only famous black who is willing to lay it out logically.

The problem is that the media never reports the instances when a black does lay it out. I am a staunch Alan Keys supporter and can assure you that Ambassador Keyes regularly "lays it out". Other prominant blacks that '"lay it out" include: Ken Hamblin (radio's Black Avenger), Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Ward Connerly, Professor Thomas Sowell, and Professor Walter Williams.

I would encourage everone to listen to and read Ken Hamblin.

www.Hamblin.com

He is a private multi-pilot and HOG, who includes his aviation (and Harleys) in his radio show. He routinely gets called an Uncle Tom by black callers because he refuses to play to their whining. Ken authored a book a couple of years ago named: "Pick A Better Country".

If the mainstream media gave as much ink/airtime to these black leaders, the black community would be far better off.

enigma

I'm glad there is someone famous from a minority race who is willing to lay it out logically.

While Cosby is not the only one, he is the first one who has been universally praised among blacks and whites, and does not carry the cross of being labled as an Uncle Tom, or whatever other name might be attached to a black conservative. Up until now, you were not considered to be "really black" if you did not subscribe to the liberal line of the NAALCP.

With Cosby's observation, a new dynamic has come to light.

I think there are plenty of black people espousing those same views, Rev. MLK certainly did believe the same, although his words have perhaps gotten a bit twisted through time, by those with a different agenda.

The problem many times seems to be, if you "make it" you are considering to be pandering to the "whites". Colin Powell, who I admire greatly, did not get to where he is, because he "gave in", but because he is a brilliant gentleman.

While all of you fall all over the wonder that is Bill Cosby, here in CVG we have a slightly different view.

Not long after the riots for the death of a useless waste of oxygen with 13 outstanding warrants, the so called civil rights leaders here called for a boycott of the city by all conventions, entertainers, etc.

Mr. Cosby chose to honor this boycott for one of the" wearing a ghetto bag and a doo-rag and speaking gibberish" boys he supposedly now critiques. I don't believe he put one moment of effort in finding out the truth of the incident, but just followed the crowd away from the city.

3 years later we have an incredible problem with black on black murders and our police sit on their hands afraid to move, lest John Ashcroft and Jesse Jackson come a knockin' on our door. (Never thought you would see those two in the same sentence did you?)

So pardon my skepticism at his "enlightened" view.

MLK said that men should be judged by the content of their character, not the color of their skin. The current crop of black "leaders" would be better off being judged by the color of their skin rather than the content of their character.

I believe this is from Walter E Williams.

Mr. Cosby chose to honor this boycott for one of the" wearing a ghetto bag and a doo-rag and speaking gibberish" boys he supposedly now critiques. I don't believe he put one moment of effort in finding out the truth of the incident, but just followed the crowd away from the city.

I will be happy to forgive your skepticism, since this may indicate that Mr Cosby has had a cultural "awakening."

That can only be a good thing.

Hi Timebuilder:

re: "Liberal" or "Conservative"

I don't like how those labels are used, especially when typical "conservatives" believe that labelling someone a "liberal" means they are "bad" and the readers shouldn't vote for or listen to them.

I have been called liberal, which, in my definition is true in some areas, and in others I'm typically conservative.

I would argue that the ACLU is "Conservative", and here's why.

I believe that a "Liberal" policy means that you want to change something to improve it, while a "Conservative" policy means you want to continue the status quo or go back to a past way of action.

To generalize, the ACLU wants to continue the old pattern of government help for blacks because they were/are repressed. This is conservative because it is a continuation of an existing situation.

Bill Cosby would be "Liberal" in this case, because he wants to change the current way of thinking among some?/many? blacks.

He wants African-Americans to throw off their chains of self-imprisonment, and replace them with the bootstraps of self-help, so they can lift themselves up into a place of pride and postive achievement in modern society.

Cliff
CYUL

atpcliff said:
Hi Timebuilder:

re: "Liberal" or "Conservative"

I don't like how those labels are used, especially when typical "conservatives" believe that labelling someone a "liberal" means they are "bad" and the readers shouldn't vote for or listen to them.

I have been called liberal, which, in my definition is true in some areas, and in others I'm typically conservative.

I would argue that the ACLU is "Conservative", and here's why.

I believe that a "Liberal" policy means that you want to change something to improve it, while a "Conservative" policy means you want to continue the status quo or go back to a past way of action.

To generalize, the ACLU wants to continue the old pattern of government help for blacks because they were/are repressed. This is conservative because it is a continuation of an existing situation.

Bill Cosby would be "Liberal" in this case, because he wants to change the current way of thinking among some?/many? blacks.

He wants African-Americans to throw off their chains of self-imprisonment, and replace them with the bootstraps of self-help, so they can lift themselves up into a place of pride and postive achievement in modern society.

Cliff
CYUL

If I agreed with your basic definitions, I might agree with you. But, I don't have the same basic definitions as my foundations.

A liberal sees blacks as incompetant and incapable, so much so that they need special government programs to assist them in competing with other groups. It is a particularly evil form of racism. It isn't just the subtle racism of low expectations, it is the idea that the only way that blacks can achieve a satisfying life is to buy into the idea that liberals are their friends and benefactors.

Conservatives see blacks as being more than capable. They are reminded of the words of Dr. King, and the radical difference between his principles and the attitude of the modern NAACP.

The reason that Mr. Cosby is showing a conservative value and not a liberal one is because this is what conservatives have been saying all along. The chains holding blacks back are the chains of liberal racism, the chains of thinking of yourself as a victim, as a person who deserves to have an entitlement delivered at every opportunity. Yes, in fact, an entitlement to an outcome instead of an opportunity. An entitlement to a quota, a presence, a position. The promotion of such a belief borders on the criminal.

Those who have done well in the fertile field that is America are those who learn much, work hard, and live a moral and disciplined life. This is the message that must be spread in the black community.

Not illegitimate births, not drugs, not gangs, not poor speech and functional illiteracy. Not gangstas, not hos, not pimps. None of that.

The liberals are the "give a man a fish" crowd.

The conservatives are the "teach the man to fish" crowd.

The liberals are the "give a man a fish" crowd.

The conservatives are the "teach the man to fish" crowd.

I think that is a very fair way to put it. Good assessment.

Latest resources

Back