• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Big meeting: Skywest, ASA/XJet, Alpa, SAPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's good to quit while you are wrong.....no point in looking like a bigger doochenozzle.
Says the guy who uses the word "doochenozzle". Are we not adults here?
Translated: "I forgot that Gulfport's vor is out of service and that you are without an FMS and GPT is your destination... But whatever. Im through wasting my efforts on this dumb computer.
Who the hell flies to KGPT? That's your first mistake.
Walter, homer, xpoo:
You all work for skywest right ?
An at will company with no union protection right ?
So, you cheerlead for this crap company ?
Suck on this you idiots.
We, as pilots will leave to greener pastures and you koolaid drinkers will be stuck at skyworst albeit on top, (for now ) will be gone in five years so chill out Francis 'cause you all will be unemployed soon.
Reading comprehension is your friend. Also your friend: basic grammar and spelling.

Last edited:
You're just short of 14 years late on the welcome aboard, but thanks none the less. I value the importance of dispatchers I just wish there was a bit more standardization. I shouldn't be able to figure out who my dispatcher is by looking at my release fuel but can, on both extremes.
You're absolutely right...on both statements. Unfortunately, the source for lacking standardization lies in much of the same vein as a pilot who has developed certain quirks over the years, experience is the best teacher with a dispatcher. Some pilots add 1,000lbs of comfort fuel to each flight...some want just enough fuel to get them to the outer marker. You can't plan fuel to suit each pilot...so, you plan fuel to suit your personal comfort level and, if the captain doesn't agree, you talk it out. That's the spirit of 121.533.

When I was a newbie at OO, I'll admit that was more worried about a management type coming along to jump on me for not planning to the "fuel conservation program" minimums all the time. At the regional level especially, you get having "fuel conservation" crammed down your throat at every turn. It isn't an inherent evil. It's just all about finding the balance between what's "safe and legal" and what is appropriate. Then I learned that OO DX management was actually pretty hands-off in that regard.

After a few diverts that I can admit happened because of less than spectacular planning, I learned from those mistakes and applied it. After much, much more time on jumpseats (not just OO metal) and tons of chats with captains, I got even wiser determining when "fuel conservation" was appropriate and when it wasn't...how to see the ATC traffic management patterns, where the offloads will happen when the convective WX fires up, keeping your ears on the San Mateo Marker AWOS when SFO is teetering, and how to stay well ahead of the curve.

Unfortunately, many of these things are only picked up by the top 35% or so who really, really care...if you covered and attempted mastery of every little detail in training, it would take two years or more to sign off a dispatcher to the floor. That's, unfortunately, just not a realistic timetable.

I've stated this before, but it bears repeating...I'm not at OO anymore, but I stand by the guys I know who post on here. Sure, sometimes they're abrasive and over the top at times (not unlike the pilot we're constantly battling here), but they're also sharp, sharp guys. They know their stuff and operate a 2,000 flight per day operation with about half the people of a major airline OCC with similar sized operations. Any airline...regional, major, box hauler...would be lucky to have them. You bag on them for working for OO, for enjoying their jobs, for living in SGU...yet, each of them is there because they want to be. They owe you no explanation of their personal reasons for sticking around SGU...nor, do they deserve the crap they catch for being there.

And, to be clear...yes, there are some people in that room who probably have no business doing the job...just as there are plenty of SJS-stricken pilots who have no business flying people around for money.

Last edited:
Call me, maybe....

If you have a problem please call!!!

I am all in favor of crews calling me... If you have a problem with my release, call me. Lets work it out. Lets figure out what the difference is and fix it. I have always been one to do whatever you ask of me as long as its legal. I will never tell a crew no, unless I feel the request creates an unsafe environment. You are the ones with your butts on the line. you want more fuel, just ask. I will NEVER say no (aside from the fact that at OO, you can add as much fuel without dispatcher input as your hearts content). You think I chose a bad alternate, call me and ask why I chose it. Then, respectfully, let me know what you would prefer. Want to lower fuel? No problem. Just call me. Im working around 60 flights a day. I dont have the time to fuel based on individual pilot preferences. I dont even look at crew names anymore. What one pilot thinks is too much fuel, another thinks he needs 500 lbs more. Just call. Lilke I always tell other dispatchers, we arent out there seeing what is going on. If you call, I will do what you need, within reason. there is no reason we cant get along. And if you ever have a dispatcher that wont work with you, ask to speak to the dispatch supervisor. He or she will make sure you are taken care of.

Again, the standing offer is there for any crew that wants to come in and see what actually happens in flight control. The OCC would be happy to welcome ANY of you into the office. If you want a tour, just give us a call... Then after you are done here we would be happy to take you over to crew support and Flight ops management too :)

...After a few diverts that I can admit happened because of less than spectacular planning, I learned from those mistakes and applied it. After much, much more time on jumpseats (not just OO metal) and tons of chats with captains, I got even wiser determining when "fuel conservation" was appropriate and when it wasn't...how to see the ATC traffic management patterns, where the offloads will happen when the convective WX fires up, keeping your ears on the San Mateo Marker AWOS when SFO is teetering, and how to stay well ahead of the curve.

Unfortunately, many of these things are only picked up by the top 35% or so who really, really care...if you covered and attempted mastery of every little detail in training, it would take two years or more to sign off a dispatcher to the floor. That's, unfortunately, just not a realistic timetable.

I've stated this before, but it bears repeating...I'm not at OO anymore, but I stand by the guys I know who post on here. Sure, sometimes they're abrasive and over the top at times (not unlike the pilot we're constantly battling here), but they're also sharp, sharp guys. They know their stuff and operate a 2,000 flight per day operation with about half the people of a major airline OCC with similar sized operations. Any airline...regional, major, box hauler...would be lucky to have them. You bag on them for working for OO, for enjoying their jobs, for living in SGU...yet, each of them is there because they want to be. They owe you no explanation of their personal reasons for sticking around SGU...nor, do they deserve the crap they catch for being there.

And, to be clear...yes, there are some people in that room who probably have no business doing the job...just as there are plenty of SJS-stricken pilots who have no business flying people around for money.

Well said Walter! And might I add that when a dispatcher has that experience, he can fight one hell of a fight on your behalf against that manager who has a damn the torpedoes attitude who wants to send you on a barely legal aircraft with no APU and/or pack, gear down, on the final leg of your final day of a trip in that sort of weather where we all say "I know it's legal, but is it safe?" sort of day. I know it doesn't always happen, but in most cases we dispatchers have fought the fight and refused an aircraft or flight hours before departure so you didn't have to refuse it 10 minutes before. And when we work together and go to the company and say "The Captain and I are in agreement..." then it's pretty much case closed and then, as if by magic, a new, airworthy aircraft materializes from the plot that is acceptable, or a flight is delayed or cancelled all to the greater safety of our trade. But in order for this to happen we:

· Need to be safety minded
· Need to be customer focused.
· Need to work together.
· Have mutual respect for each other.
· Know how the “system” works.
· Have some consideration for the economics of our decisions.
· Be mindful of corporate priorities

Most of you get it but for those of you that are ready for the dispatcher to be put to rest in this industry along with second officers/navigators or just generally have disdain for anyone who is not a pilot:

· Would your flights be just as safe?
· Would your quality of lives on the job improve?
· Would your passengers have a better experience?

Some of you answer yes to the above questions and are probably right about the future of flight dispatch being limited as technology advances and passenger comfort without it increases but this, unfortunately, is not only a truth for the dispatcher.

Cheers!

Free root canal with vise grips too:)?

Glad you saw the humor in that... I think we would get along just fine... Oh, and I would love to be in a jumpseat on those bad days... Its just every time I try, I get bumped for weight... was able to do a cat II to mins in FAT a couple years ago. you all earned my respect that day!

We have just as much a skin in the game as any pilot. We may not see as much of the world going by us at seven miles per minute, but we have a certificate and a livelihood on the line with each flight, just as you do. The difference being, I put that certificate on the line, on average 50+ times per day.

The only other people with as much skin in the game are the passengers and no one else. If you think this is just about putting some piece of paper and your livelihood on the line, then you are being sorely naive. But even if you want to meauare your skin on the game by the amount of time you put a piece of paper on the line, pilots do it, literally, hundreds of times for each flight.

By the way, I have nothing against dispatchers. Can't hurt to have one more person in the loop.

Everyday these 100 people answer the questions of a pilot group that is 2,400 strong, dispatch and coordinate 2,000 flights five different ways for five different major carriers, to more US cities than any other single airline in the world. And to top it all off, they are the only substantial US carrier airline to have NEVER had certificate action taken against any dispatcher...EVER.

Ever? Can you provide any evidence? Also, how many cities? How many cities does XJT fly to? Or is this just some outdated koolaid they are still feeding you guys?

Back on topic: One List! ;)

Last edited:
Ever? Can you provide any evidence? Also, how many cities? How many cities does XJT fly to? Or is this just some outdated koolaid they are still feeding you guys?

Back on topic: One List! ;)

Certainly, the first is hammered home to everyone during intial training and during recurrent. Is there some magical website link I can point you to to prove my claim? No. But if you don't believe it, feel free to disprove it on your own.

As for the second... OO flies to 154 US Cities and EV flies to 149, this means OO flies to more domestic destinations than any other single airline in the world. And in case you were wondering, combined SKYW flies to 234 unique US domestic destinations total.

Latest resources

Back