• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best "little" airports?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Owensboro-Baviess County, Kentucky (OWB). Here's the deal. Just your average midwest cornfield airport. Once you land and taxi to the FBO with the cheapest fuel, call Moonlight BBQ (270-684-8143). They'll pick your hungry ass up and take you to the greatest BBQ buffet east of the Mississippi. After lunch, pick up some frozen BBQ pulled pork to go. Then they'll take you back to the airport and if you're not over gross, take off and go home.:cool:

ID Mountain Strips!

IDpilot said:
Hey easy on the Idaho bashing. We have some of the most chalenging strips in some of the most beatiful land in the country. Problem is most of you Nancy Boys can't hack it in the back country.;)

Heh,Heh IDpilot!

You hit the nail on the head. I'd luv to see the sphincters on some of these lads as they dump into a few of those strips!

Many in excess of 4500 MSL Less than 2500 feet , some including doglegs! Oh yeah...Lots of them go arounds are not possible...
Can you say committed!!!

A couple memorable ones of note might be Thomas Creek in Stanley (2U8), and the favorite Cabin Creek in the Middlefork Salmon Drainage....(l08)

We got some nice flying here in WA but I think ID has the most challenging flying in the mainland....

Don't know if this thred is still live, but I had to back up IDpilot on his turf!
You gotta love the ability to jump from one mecca to the next in ID.

You certainly brought this thread out of hibernation.

Re: live to fly and fly to eat!

prodigal said:

In Albuquerque fly into Coronado and get a crew car and drive down to Sadies on 4th. St. NW for some killer carne adovado

Good luck with that, Coronado has been closed for about a year and a half at least.

About McGehees, I would not quite call it an airport. More like a Catfish joint with a grass strip in the front. But defintely good food. Not the kind of place to take a twin or underpowered single into, especially in summer.

Hondo Tx has a nice little restaruant (flightline cafe)..Unfortunately the 2001 tornado tore off the roof right over the WW2 Memorabilia and ruined some of it.

Santa Fe NM has nice scenery around. and a good place to eat there. Just be sure you can handle 10,000 ft density altitude in summer. The Sangre de Cristos to the east are beautiful and you can see much much from the air that you can not see from the ground.
Plus you can see Mig-15 and L39s fly around too.

I definately have to recommend Friday Harbor (FHR) in NW Washington. Great scenery as you fly over the San Juan Islands and the walk into town is nice. Been there a few times and ate at the Downriggers restaurant next to the ferry pier. Easy to find.
I've also heard that Burlington/Mt Vernon (BVS), about 50-60 miles north of Seattle, has a great restaurant on field. It has two big runways and if you fly in during mid april, you can see all of the tulip fields in full bloom, a nice sight from the air.
Silverwood, ID (S62) is one I haven't made it to yet, but it is a non-towered airport that lies adjacent to a small theme park. Apparently there is also antique aircraft and skydiving around there. Check your directory, but I don't think it is open until May 1st.
I saw Ranger Creek, WA (21W) mentioned earlier. Be careful with this one as it is tricky and leads into a more or less boxed canyon with slopes 4,000 to 5,000 feet high on either side of the strip. Would only recommend going in there when the winds are calm, and maybe find a local instructor who has been in there before to go along on the first time. Definately need to have some mountain flying experience for it.

Hello,
Let me chime in with some places that I've enjoyed visiting over the years I was stationed in California:

1. Borrego Valley: Has a great restaruant right on the field.
2. Big Bear: Great Italian place in the terminal building, and just down the street is a place called the "Blue Ox", one of those shell your peanuts and toss the shells on the floor kind of place.
3. Mojave: Not too much in the way of food, but lots to see. Things might not be the same due to security post 9/11. Also, a great surpluspilot shop in the OPS bldg.
4. Chino: Planes of Fame Museum is on the field, so worth the stop.
5. Palm Springs: Air Museum there is excellent and if you get a courtesy van into downtown there are a lot of good places to eat. If you have time, you can also ride the Gondola up to the peak of Mt. San Jacinto. A cool view from up there (literally speaking in the summer!)
6. Van Nuys: 94th Aero Sqdn on the field and a lot of stuff to see. There are a couple of good pilot shops located on or around the field too.

Other places I've enjoyed visiting:
Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Fisher's Island N.Y., Littlebrook ME and Block Island

regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

gotta second the moonlight bbq in owensboro, ky. some of the best stuff i've had. my parents actually used to drive 2 hrs just to eat there. great stuff.

HAL has the best Western Washington airports nailed! Friday Harbor (FHR) is the premier weekend warrior GA destination. But the one that takes the cake is Copalis Beach (S16). It's a chunk of beach on the Pacific Coast that is designated as a state airport. Preflight planning should probably include checking the tide tables. The damp sand is firmer than you might think. You can grab lunch at HQM which is just a short hop away.

Ranger Creek (6WA8)- great spot if you're mountain flying skills are up. Bring your camera, plus camping gear, hiking boots, mountain bikes, etc. May need to buzz the strip to warn the dirt-bikers you're coming in.

As for Firstair in Monroe, WA, you can also hop over to Sky Harbor (WA64) which is 1900' of grass boxed in with trees on one side. There's some neat planes there (Cubs, Widgeons, projects going on, etc).

In Central Ohio, Packer (5E9) is a couple well-groomed grass strips with Avgas and tons of cool planes. On a nice day you might see a Twin Beech, Stearmans, T-6's, Pitts Specials, Cubs, or who knows what.

Also south of Dayton is Stewart(401) in Waynesville - they've also got Avgas plus Cubs, Stearmans, and other neat planes.

Blue Skies!

Wang

Go to Smith Island in the Chesapeake bay. These people invite you into their homes to eat blue crabs, no cars on the island and the english they speak is like 200 years old, totally different then what we speak. Only way to go there is by boat or plane (3000 ft unlighted asphalt runway)
Mexican food: terminal building of Ponca City, oklahoma. They make their own chips. delicious. I never could get anything else during the 10min turnaround, and the place is always packed.
Easton, MD for the key lime pie.
If you go to liberal KS, the museum is very nice (small aircraft oriented with a little heavy iron), otherwise there is nothing.
MAF, Midland TX for the Confederate (excuse me: Commemorative to be politically correct) Airforce Museum. MetroSheriff said something about half moon bay; I think you've got to wait for one of the 2 VFR days per year. Place has the steadiest climate in the US, 58 F average If I correctly remember.
BBQ? the drive in in Elizabeth City, NC. Get a car and drive in to town . The place is on the right side at the main intersection with the traffic lights. Get the NC style barbeque sandwich with the hot sauce and cole slaw (yes!!) and fries. I was there in '94 and the woman taking the order filled up the whole 2ftx2ft window. The sandwhich is huge, just like the basket of fries and cheap! $2.50 including drink bach then. Cheaper than McD's.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back